Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new here im not sure if this is the right place for this, so i apologize in advance if i was wrong.

Im looking in to take a 4bt and the 6spd NV5600 and trying to stuff it in a 4runner with full width dana 60s.

i have a done a little bit of research on parts i would need to make it possible and seem simple enough with alot of fab work, but i cant find much on the web about the process. So waht im wonder is if anyone has done something similar and could rate the project on a difficulty scale from 0 to dont waste the time money.

Any input much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
The NV5600 is a beast. It's big, heavy and expensive. Are you getting one for free? Otherwise use a NV4500. Not familiar with how hard a 4Runner would be. There is a member that is finishing up an Xterra. Probably a good idea to study his build.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the nv5600 is 6spd and if u have ever drove a cummins 6spd they are nice. money isnt to much an issue i can get one for fairly cheap used from a friend of mine. i wasnt aware the nv4500 had a 6spd version if it does that would be great to not have a beast of a tranny in there. what is you opinion on running gear? i want something other than the dinky toyota gear, after thinking about it a bit full width would put the entire tire out side the body pretty much.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I know they are nice. My problem is they are 360#. I already feel like the NV4500 is a beast at 196#. No the NV4500 is only available in a 5 speed. If you are geared correctly the 6 speed is not needed. It is effectively a 5 speed with a granny gear. What is your intended use? Rock crawler, mudder, DD? From there we can talk running gear.

I personally rebuilt my NV4500 and it drives great. I just don't think I'll ever have enough power go through it with my 4BT to break it, much less a NV5600. I too, thought seriously about the NV5600 before I got my NV4500. Not worth it for the weight and size to me. My $.02 worth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well heres what i have in my head 2000 4 runner for a body, plate bumpers, 4linked front and rear, cummins drive chain, with at least 37s.

im not a big beat the hell out my rig kinda guy so i dont jus go ham in the mud or rock crawl much every once and a while. i want something that can go anywhere or do anything. between my friend and going in the mountains someone is always getting stuck or breaking something. i want something with some power when i want it that can tow when i need it that doesnt seem like im killing it (my dd 04 tacoma 2.7). always in the snow every chance i get so something tall and can plow trail. i dont need something crazy like rockwells but if want to let her have and smoke 37s on dry pavement and role coal i dont want to wonder in my running is going to detonate!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I run a nv4500 to because I know a local guy who rebuilds manuals, that nv5600 is a monster, if you could fit it, your talking massive fab work to fit it, nv4500 is no bigger then 90% of most manuals made.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I know they are nice. My problem is they are 360#. I already feel like the NV4500 is a beast at 196#. No the NV4500 is only available in a 5 speed. If you are geared correctly the 6 speed is not needed. It is effectively a 5 speed with a granny gear. What is your intended use? Rock crawler, mudder, DD? From there we can talk running gear.

I personally rebuilt my NV4500 and it drives great. I just don't think I'll ever have enough power go through it with my 4BT to break it, much less a NV5600. I too, thought seriously about the NV5600 before I got my NV4500. Not worth it for the weight and size to me. My $.02 worth.
I believe the difference between the nv4500 and 5600 is that 1st gears are the same ratio. but 2nd and 3rd in the 4500 become 2nd,3rd,and 4th. and both have a 1:1 and OD gears of course. Ive driven both versions in 3/4ton dodges and unless a person is towing regularly, the nv5600 isnt needed. In a 4runner 1st wouldnt be needed either. Good luck with your build

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Check the parts situation on 5600's. Eaton FS or FSO 6 speeds are strong enough, earlier than 6406(5406,etc.) are less expensive, OD only in 6406, 8406.

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts