Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the 4bt out of a tractor would work for a pickup? I have a tractor salvage yard thats close by and possibly has that engine. I'm looking to put the engine in a 2wd F150 with a 5 speed. Didn't know if there were any major differences between the ag and road use engines. Any info is appreciated. Thanx, Casey:)

·
Registered
854 Posts
The basic engine is pretty much the same, but you will have to shell out some pretty big $$$ for the proper block adapter, flywheel, and starter. You will need to fab some mounts for each side in front.

Also, tractor engines usually don't have the Bosch VE pump (load governor vs. speed governor) so driving it would be weird....also you may not be able to very easily turn up the power.

If you end up buying the right pump, you'll also need the proper line, too. This stuff all adds up.

Besides....every time I have tried to deal with tractor salvage places, I have found their prices to be WAAAAAY high compared to similar items somewhere else. You can usually find similar items in other places for a lot less. I'll bet they want $4k for a 4BT from a Case or Kubota tractor.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I was wondering if the 4bt out of a tractor would work for a pickup? I have a tractor salvage yard thats close by and possibly has that engine. I'm looking to put the engine in a 2wd F150 with a 5 speed. Didn't know if there were any major differences between the ag and road use engines. Any info is appreciated. Thanx, Casey:)
It might come with an SAE3 adapter and then it will bolt upto a spicer 3053 then a flywheel & clutch & your done. I think nhdiesel is doing this too.

Gaza

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
A tractor engine or a forklift engine are both variable speed governor engines. In some applications their injection pumps may not be equipped with the AFC housing or the KSB (cold starting aid). Not all are emissions approved for highway use. Do some research on your local emissions requirements before you buy your engine.

·
Registered
854 Posts
It might come with an SAE3 adapter and then it will bolt upto a spicer 3053 then a flywheel & clutch & your done.
That sounds like it would cost a LOT.

·
Registered
696 Posts
That sounds like it would cost a LOT.
Well that depends, if his engine comes with a SAE bellhousing which if its from an industrial application it probably does. Then a rebuilt or used spicer 3053 can be had for a reasonable amount then I think the clutch and or flywheel is freightliner FL70 stuff but ask nhdiesel about this as hes doing it I think. Both my cummins engines came with SAE bellhousings the 6BT with a SAE2 and the 4BT with a SAE3 so I could also bolt an Allison AT545 up if I wanted . BTW my NOS spicer was £25 and the SAE bellhousing came with the engine. Any 6bt from a school bus will have a SAE flywheel housing too.

Gaza

·
Registered
854 Posts
BTW my NOS spicer was £25
Is that a typo? If not, then you "STOLE" it! (found in a little old lady's barn?)

You can't even buy junk transmission cores around here that cheap. I paid $100 USD for a rebuildable Ford "pan-fill" C4 core three years ago for my race car.

Nearly ANY "common" trans (car, pickup) in usable shape is at least $300 around here. When you start using curse words like Eaton, Spicer and Allison you know full well you are talking at least $1000

·
Registered
696 Posts
Is that a typo? If not, then you "STOLE" it! (found in a little old lady's barn?)

You can't even buy junk transmission cores around here that cheap. I paid $100 USD for a rebuildable Ford "pan-fill" C4 core three years ago for my race car.

Nearly ANY "common" trans (car, pickup) in usable shape is at least $300 around here. When you start using curse words like Eaton, Spicer and Allison you know full well you are talking at least $1000
Well I wasn't sure if I was going to use it but for £25 I thought it was worth the risk:grinpimp: I remember reading somewhere that nhdiesel paid $73 for his. Hopefully nhdiesel will chime in and give us all a better insight. To me it would be ideal as he only wants 2wd. BTW I bought the spicer off ebay in the UK and it didn't cost me anything for shipping as I had a friend who lived very near to where it was pick it up and he dropped it off for me when he was passing a few months later.

Gaza

·
Registered
854 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that nhdiesel paid $73 for his.
That's cheap. You won't find deals like that in Texas. Everyone wants an arm and a leg for everything here.

·
Registered
38 Posts

where's elm mott? I can sell you as many C4 cores as you WANT for $100 a throw! I used to get them for $40 a piece in the Dallas area

·
Registered
854 Posts
I used to get them for $40 a piece in the Dallas area
Used to. Anymore, all I can find are 80's era AOD's.
Seems like the C4's have pretty much disappeared, and the 80's era stuff is getting rare, too. Wreckers don't want to keep anything over 20 years old.

The one I have now is good, but I'm getting out of drag racing......

·
Registered
258 Posts
My 3053a was $76 from govliquidation.com, and it was a fresh, never used reman. I did, however, have to drive from N.H. to Chicago to get it, but it was a fun ride. I got a flywheel and flywheel housing from people on here for cheap money (aprox. $100 each) and I bought a clutch cheap off ebay (brand new).

The 3053a comes with a SAE #3 pattern, but can also be adapted to some other patterns pretty easily. I just drove a Deuce home from PA Friday and I found that the Spicers shift quite well.

Jim

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
I rarely ever say anything about drifting off topic but this thread ran off the road and crossed the ditch about the quickest I have ever seen! Now folks I know we can do a bit better than this.;)

·
Registered
854 Posts
well..........

we ARE still talking about what transmissions options are available for the "industrial" 4BT engines ;)

·
Registered
696 Posts
My 3053a was $76 from govliquidation.com, and it was a fresh, never used reman. I did, however, have to drive from N.H. to Chicago to get it, but it was a fun ride. I got a flywheel and flywheel housing from people on here for cheap money (aprox. $100 each) and I bought a clutch cheap off ebay (brand new).

The 3053a comes with a SAE #3 pattern, but can also be adapted to some other patterns pretty easily. I just drove a Deuce home from PA Friday and I found that the Spicers shift quite well.

Jim
Jim, do you have any pics and more info on this? Possibly start a new thread I certainly would be interested as I has a 4BT and a spicer 3053 and not sure exactly what clutch flywheel I need.
Sorry if this bit is off topic BobS.

Gaza

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All right guys thanx for the info, looks like im going to have to do some more searching around for one of these engines at an automotive or truck junkyard. Would the 3053 trans be a 5 speed? How big a deal would it be to put it in a f150?

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
tractor motor

My first 4bt motor came out of a Case 860 Trencher . The only difference was the turbo was relativly small in which I up-graded the compressor housing to a larger one then I had the inj pump & injectors built to cpl 858 specs which are automotive specs.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Would the 3053 trans be a 5 speed? How big a deal would it be to put it in a f150?
It is 230lbs, if you used a sae3 bell it is slightly smaller than a dodge. The one in the jpmagazine used a truck bell and flywheel and yes that one is huge.

Gaza

1 - 20 of 25 Posts