Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While swapping out my diaphragm style lift pump for the low pressure piston lift pump on my VE pump 3.9, I found out that the fuel line that I ordered (p/n 3914753) will not work on my application. On the recommended fuel line I have, the last bend that needs to go to the filter head goes towards the front of the engine while my filter head is towards the rear, complete opposite where I need it to be. Every forum I searched (here, Ramchargercentral, TDR and other misc. forums I found through Google) only give this part number. I have seen threads where others have bent the original line to fit but my line is to short and I'm not really trusting its structural integrity. So my questions are, has anyone else encountered this and do they have a part number for a fuel line that would work? If that fuel line is nonexistent could I use -AN fittings and hose.....my concern with AN lines is this needs a banjo bolt end and all the banjo ends I see are for brake line applications. My other option is to have a custom line made and the only shop that, by word of mouth, is capable of doing so is only open during my work hours and closed weekends. I work an hour away from home and I did bend a wire coat hanger as a mock up of what I need, I'm not 100% that the shop can give me exactly what i need without seeing what I'm talking about. If no one has any answers here I guess I'll just have to bite the s**t sandwich and have the custom line made risking the possibility of us guesstimating what is needed. Any help, advise or points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Custom line all the way. The shop will have adapters to match the banjo bolt thread so you can have -AN fittings at pump and filter housing. Ask about push lock AN hose ends so that the orientation of the ends with respect to each other won't matter like it does with crimp on ends. Just un bend your coat hanger and give the length as the minimum that you need for hose.

sent from my mobile look at device

·
Registered
304 Posts
While swapping out my diaphragm style lift pump for the low pressure piston lift pump on my VE pump 3.9, I found out that the fuel line that I ordered (p/n 3914753) will not work on my application. On the recommended fuel line I have, the last bend that needs to go to the filter head goes towards the front of the engine while my filter head is towards the rear, complete opposite where I need it to be. Every forum I searched (here, Ramchargercentral, TDR and other misc. forums I found through Google) only give this part number. I have seen threads where others have bent the original line to fit but my line is to short and I'm not really trusting its structural integrity. So my questions are, has anyone else encountered this and do they have a part number for a fuel line that would work? If that fuel line is nonexistent could I use -AN fittings and hose.....my concern with AN lines is this needs a banjo bolt end and all the banjo ends I see are for brake line applications. My other option is to have a custom line made and the only shop that, by word of mouth, is capable of doing so is only open during my work hours and closed weekends. I work an hour away from home and I did bend a wire coat hanger as a mock up of what I need, I'm not 100% that the shop can give me exactly what i need without seeing what I'm talking about. If no one has any answers here I guess I'll just have to bite the s**t sandwich and have the custom line made risking the possibility of us guesstimating what is needed. Any help, advise or points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
I found the right line, I'll see if I can get the part number.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I ran into this issue also. I solved it by going to Parker fitting shop and had a custom hydraulic line made . They had every fitting in stock and total price was about 25.00.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses, I think I will go with the custom line. 1972RedNeck, if you can still come up with the part number that would be great just in case I run into someone else that has the same issue, I can pay it forward.

·
Registered
11,272 Posts
Probably the reason that fuel line isn't what you need is because most of those kits are set up for the 6bt engine. I may be wrong, but wouldn't that lift pump to filter supply line be identical to the one used on the P pump 4bt. Same design lift pump and same filter location. If think the correct part you need is Cummins 3927637. Found it on a CPL 1839 I have on my Quick Serve and also found a reference on a site where a guy was having the same problem as you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty sure you're right char1355. I guess I didn't dig to deep through the internet, haha. You may be right on the lift pump to filter supply line being used on the P-Pump 4bt's but I was googling "4bt Bosch VE piston pump" and some other variations and it was all 4bt/6bt same kit. I have access to QuickServe as well and I used my ESN to search through parts and changed serial numbers only to find all the ESN's that I could get to work were the diaphragm style. Thank you for the part number I'll check with the local Cummins fella's and see if they can get the Part number you sent me. and If you know anyone looking for this fuel line I'll have it for sale in the classifieds to recoup some of my money.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I went custom and made my own line from the piston lift pump to the filter in and also the filter out to the injection pump. No problems at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to go with the pic shown above. It's so simple and going down to the road to uh-oh zone and pick up the hose and clamps will be much easier and than trying to find a local fitting and hose shop that will build something for me. Sorry if any one was interested in buying the fuel line that I thought wouldn't work. That's the one I'll be cutting up and using the hose on. If it gives me problems down the road I'll go the custom built route.

·
Registered
11,272 Posts
Actually, some of the Cummins engines used a flex hose fuel pipe. I have some of them in my industrial catalogs. Must remember that the VE isn't a high pressure application. The factory bent metal pipe may be overkill, but they look neat. By the way, I found a build on our forum that verified that part #.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts