Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had my brother pick me up a 4bt from a generator from SLC airport it only had 100hrs on it. So because it came from that it has no power steering pump. I want to buy a Saginaw pump for it but im concerned maybe i have to worry about the splines or the gears being wrong or are they all the same and just buy a good pump? He dose not know and i wont be home for another 6 months.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I bought a Vac-PS pump from a 90's Dodge truck as I needed the Vacuum to run my brakes. Just remove the accessories plate and plug it in. It was about $200. Just have a plan if you need vacuum to run anything. Static engines as a Gen. Set 4bt will require some mods for road use. Jeff

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
All the B series power steering pumps have the same gear teeth. One from any 4bt or 6bt will bolt right up. Just remove the cover plate on the gear housing and bolt it in. If you need a vacuum pump, you can use one of the Dodge combo units. Otherwise, source one off a 4bt. There are a couple different styles of those. If this was a generator engine, you need to check the injection pump. If it has a constant speed pump, it only runs at one rpm, usually 1800. Also, which injection pump does it have. There are at least 5 possible models. Industrial engines came with Lucas CAV, Stanadyne, Bosch VE, Bosch A, and Bosch P3000.

·
Vendor
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Russ that is always a possibility of a generator engine. The pump may be designed to accelerate the engine to 1800 rpm and hold it. But I have also heard of generator engines that had regular governors. Never know 'til you check.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Now you know which brand of injection pump is on the engine. Be nice to see the engine ID plate on the side of the engine front gear housing. That may tell a lot more. As far as I know, the Stanadyne pumps on 4bt's were only on generators. Don't know if they were fixed rpm or not.

·
Vendor
2,692 Posts
The engine dose have a turbo
Good. Then you have the squirters and the right pistons. Get a "road" VE or p pump and some lines for whichever pump you use. Youre going to need a bosch # 0 460 424 XXX for a VE. The last 3 digits will be for the cpl youre shooting for, the first 7 have to be numbers shown. Need with the AFC housing also or install later.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Youre going to need a bosch # 0 460 424 XXX for a VE. The last 3 digits will be for the cpl youre shooting for, the first 7 have to be numbers shown. Need with the AFC housing also or install later.
[/QUOTE]

Im still new to this so i dont know what you mean by cpl or AFC

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Hopefully your engine has the ID plate on the front gear housing. It's just forward of the injection pump on the driver's side. That will show you the ESN (Engine Serial Number) and CPL (Critical Parts List). The CPL is a number used by Cummins to designate the specs of the engine. Injection pump, turbo, etc. If you go to a Cummins dealer to get parts, the first thing they want is the ESN. Otherwise you're an invisible being unless you have actual part numbers. The AFC (Air Fuel Control) is a device that adjusts fuel delivery depending on turbo boost pressure. I suspect your current pump is fixed rpm so you will need a different one. Seems like the Stanadyne pump and Bosch VE have the same mounting base, otherwise you'd have to change the front gear housing too. So you'd need a new pump, drive gear, and injection lines. The existing injectors are probably OK. May require some other minor fuel plumbing.

·
Vendor
2,692 Posts
Youre going to need a bosch # 0 460 424 XXX for a VE. The last 3 digits will be for the cpl youre shooting for, the first 7 have to be numbers shown. Need with the AFC housing also or install later.
Im still new to this so i dont know what you mean by cpl or AFC[/QUOTE]

Theres a search function in the top right hand corner. Google cummins with these terms and something will pop up. If your new to these terms and new to the 4bt I advise you to get a rebuild manual and get familiar. Spending time in the stickies is time well spent. Other option is to do like some have done and make boat anchors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts