Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been doing some searching and found that the 6bt came with a vacuum pump. now im wondering if this unit would bolt to a 4bt? im guessing it would and im guessing you kneed a differnt one for the 4bt with the bosh p7100 vs the ones with the ve pumps? do these things create enough vacuum to run a brake booster and heater controls?

now im also wondering if they make a air compressor for the b series engines? i remember back in the day when riding with my dad in the Kenwerth with the cummins he had a air compressor to run the brakes. not that i wan to run my brakes on it, jsut wondering if i can have a compressor to air up tires and run air tools.

also looking at ebay came across rebuild kits. they said they came with piston and rebore kit? i know the big rig engines can have the piston selves replaced. but can the 4bt and 6bt have that to? i thought they were cast like a normal gas engine?

how much boost can a 4bt safely take before i kneed to oring it? would it be a good idea to put a 6bt turbo on the 4bt?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi, yes the dodge vacuum pump will fit they might be slightly different but anyone fron 89 till about 2002 will fit, the rotary and P pump versions are interchangeable.

Yes you can get a compressor to fit get one from a medium truck breakers yard. if you fit this you can't also fit the vacuum P/S pump and will therefore need seperate vacuum if you need it. my compressor is 12cfm and has a large ZF P/S pump driven off the back of it and it is off a 6BT and will fit my 4BT. Do a search

I don't know anything about rebuild kits.

You can put a HX35 on a 4BT they are good for 35psi HY35 about 30psi , I think the marine 4BTs used a HX35 and they run about 250bhp/500tq. I think a stock 4BT is good for about 40psi they will probably be good for about 50psi with studs and a marine Head Gasket. These figures are all variable depends on how good deck/head is and how well the work is done. Studs can be added without taking head off.

All the above info is available if you search.

Gaza

1 - 2 of 2 Posts