Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thankin bout doin a 4bt swap to my 2000 Ford Ranger XLT is there any tips as far as what trans i should go with or what rearend i should put under the truck or just any overall information that would help me find the thangs i need to know to be able to do the conversion and thanks in advance. I also appologize for my bad grammer

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You need to read some of the build threads. The Ford Ranger has been a popular item for swaps. Is this a 2wd or 4wd? Do you want manual or auto transmission? What power level do you plan? What's the plan use of the truck? These are some of the questions that need to be considered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm planning on doing the same with my 98 ranger next year. It's a stock 2dr extended cab step side, 4x4, 5 speed manual, power everything. I'll be using it as a daily driver, maybe more in the future. I've been scouring this site for awhile now and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Can someone help me with a check list on what parts I will need and where I can find them? Sould I get a frame cut 4bt with trans? Should I look for a specific year? In a month or 2 I would like to start working on rebuilding the 4bt to drop in, and wanted to know what to expect. I'm just a novice at home mechanic, electrical not too good with. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Pmenio, might start by reading this build. http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?92506-2000-Ford-Ranger-4bt Lots of planning and work go into a good swap. With a Ford, the ideal engine would probably be one that has the Ford adapter plate and flywheel. Of course that can be added to any of them. If you buy a frame cut unit, you probably won't use the transmission that comes with it. May possibly even use the transmission you have. The M5R2-OD is reasonably strong so long as you don't abuse it. Depends on whether you have the small block bolt pattern or not. Second option would be the small block ZF S5-42. Don't know of a real shopping list. That you must create yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the help. Any idea of where I can find parts like motor mounts, etc.? Even a good site to buy the rebuild parts for the 4bt?

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
In most cases, engine mounts are made to fit. Don't know of a lot of places making mounts for most vehicles. There are a few for full sized trucks but other than that it's pretty limited. As for engine parts, you may find those in various places. NAPA will have some since these engines were in P30 Chevy vans as well as Freightliner units. You can find things like gaskets, seals, and bearings on ebay. These engines came in Case industrial tractors and skid steers so some things can be found there. Of course you have good ole Cummins which would have anything you'd need. Might not be the cheapest but you know it will be right. Once you get an engine you need to determine what all it might need. New bearings, seals, and gaskets would probably be the first order. New rod bolts would be required. Repair the KDP. Have the injectors tested. Possibly a better turbo depending on what the engine had. If the engine is worn too much then new pistons and rings will come into play. So much depends on what you find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My plan is to rework the whole motor before I drop it in. In most cases, the plan is to replace anything that can be upgraded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts