Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about doing a 4BT Swap in a 2003 Ford Ranger XL with a 2.3 duratec. The ranger has a Mazda M5OD-R1. I don't have any idea hiw much it would cost (I plan to do it myself with the help of a house builder, and a network engineer) if I was going to I would probably upgrade my ranger to an XLT with extended cab. And an M5OD-R1HD which is standard on the 4.0l. Any advice links manuals general dos - do nots. I would say mechanically speaking I'm a 6-6.5 / 10.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You need to do some research on Ford bellhousing patterns and commonly available adapters. The M5 series transmissions came in several bellhousing patterns. I don't know what bellhousing pattern the 4.0 L SOHC V6 engine has.

and

The commonly available Ford adapter is for the 300 CID straight 6. That is the later small block pattern.

I am running a 1997 M5R2 out of an F150 with a Canadian Essex 90 degree V-6. The bolt holes were Metric and I had to drill them out a small amount to take a SAE bolt.

Russ

·
Registered
196 Posts
What are you planning for the truck? Daily driver, rock buggy or just general 4X4? How big of a tire?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Daily driver, the 40mpg appeal of Diesel has led me here
"Daily driver, the 40mpg appeal legend of Diesel has led me here" - Fixed it for you.

A consistent 25 MPG with a 4bt in a light weight daily driver is doing good. I've read about one (1) tank fill-ups getting good numbers, averages over a few thousand miles are a different story.

I'd sure like someone to prove me wrong, maybe there are some documented threads here on 4btswaps that I am not aware of.

40 MPG is VW TDI territory. A few years ago I looked into the VW TDI swap in a similar pickup truck (1994 Nissan Kingcab). At that time, I could not identify a suitable transmission for the rear wheel drive.

Russ

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
The Cummins 2.8L diesel crate engine would be much better sized. More money, but, a much MUCH better fit all the way around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts