Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about doing a 4BT Swap in a 2003 Ford Ranger XL with a 2.3 duratec. The ranger has a Mazda M5OD-R1. I don't have any idea hiw much it would cost (I plan to do it myself with the help of a house builder, and a network engineer) if I was going to I would probably upgrade my ranger to an XLT with extended cab. And an M5OD-R1HD which is standard on the 4.0l. Any advice links manuals general dos - do nots. I would say mechanically speaking I'm a 6-6.5 / 10.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
You need to do some research on Ford bellhousing patterns and commonly available adapters. The M5 series transmissions came in several bellhousing patterns. I don't know what bellhousing pattern the 4.0 L SOHC V6 engine has.

and

The commonly available Ford adapter is for the 300 CID straight 6. That is the later small block pattern.

I am running a 1997 M5R2 out of an F150 with a Canadian Essex 90 degree V-6. The bolt holes were Metric and I had to drill them out a small amount to take a SAE bolt.

Russ

·
Registered
217 Posts
What are you planning for the truck? Daily driver, rock buggy or just general 4X4? How big of a tire?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Daily driver, the 40mpg appeal of Diesel has led me here
"Daily driver, the 40mpg appeal legend of Diesel has led me here" - Fixed it for you.

A consistent 25 MPG with a 4bt in a light weight daily driver is doing good. I've read about one (1) tank fill-ups getting good numbers, averages over a few thousand miles are a different story.

I'd sure like someone to prove me wrong, maybe there are some documented threads here on 4btswaps that I am not aware of.

40 MPG is VW TDI territory. A few years ago I looked into the VW TDI swap in a similar pickup truck (1994 Nissan Kingcab). At that time, I could not identify a suitable transmission for the rear wheel drive.

Russ

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
The Cummins 2.8L diesel crate engine would be much better sized. More money, but, a much MUCH better fit all the way around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I swapped a 2003 VW ALH into a 2002 Ranger several years ago. Currently have 40-50K miles on the swap. EVGUY sells adapters to match the original Ford transmission but I chose to run an AX15 out of a late 90's 4.0L Dakota and his adapter so I could get the big clutch. I swapped injectors, turbo and had a Malone 4 tune done which brings the engine up to about the max that the bottom end can safely hold in stock form. All the gauges work.

There are several ALH stand alone wiring articles out on the interwebs and the hardest part is that Ford has a habit of moving wires around on plugs randomly from one year to the next just to make things difficult so others "put the green wire onto pin 4 of Ford plug #" may or may not be correct unless you and him were working on the same year and engine truck.

I never drove the truck with the 2.3 because it came with a hole in the side of the block a guinea pig could crawl through but it is a kick to drive now. No problem lighting the tires even with the Explorer posi rear end.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As Scot said, this is VW TDI territory. The best I have seen from my Cummins ISB170/Dakota is about 25 but mostly 23-24. My TDI Jeep XJ and TDI Jeep JKU both get 28-35 depending on who is driving. I never see 35. ;>)

If you gear the Ranger right and keep it low then 35+mpg with the TDI should be possible. They weigh about half what a 4BT weights which also helps with MPG and no front suspension mods required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts