Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone modified a rear sump oil pan for clearance yet? Trying to get some information about the exact oil tube routing and location of the pickup. Photos would be great! Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diesel CJ8,

Thank you... very similar to the modification I need to make. Did you have to modify the oil pickup?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great! That sure makes it simpler. Hope to start on the mod this weekend.

·
Registered
454 Posts
i had a muck around with my sump recently. the pickup runs across the very front of the bowl in the sump. and within an 1/8 or so.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just wait until I get my oil pan back from welding...then you all will see some serious oil pan modifications:)

I have a 4BT in a 93' suburban with stock lift. The engine has the "tilt to the right" which makes the oil pan go further into the 4WD third member. Because of this issue the oil pan had to be modified over and over again until is finally fit.

The oil pick up had to cut almost an inch to fit into the newly modified oil pan. I had to add to the oil pan a couple of places to try and keep the oil quanity at 10 quarts.

As soon as it gets back I'll post pics;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oil pan mod completed

More slow progress... 1st of all...thanks CJ8 for the idea for the radius filler piece...:beer: Finally completed the oil pan modifications for clearing the Bronco Dana 44. The sump was cut at an angle and slid over 1.25". By cutting on an angle and sliding it over 1.25" the overall depth of the sump was slightly increased.

http://www.imagestation.com/8606226/3894523523

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
RE: Oil Pan Mod

Nice job on your vehicle.

Now you have me wondering why a 4-6" lift is needed on a FJ62 Landcruiser with the 4BT? You would think it is possible to do a oil pan modification in order to avoid all of the additional work. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Does anyone have any tips on creating a leak proof weld when modifying oil pans? I own a Miller 135, .03 wire and straight C02 and have access to a larger hobart wire feed. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
.030 should work nicely. Take your time and the best thing to do, test it for leaks before you install it!!! I filled mine with used oil for 3 days after we finished welding it. Just let it sit on the bench and watched to see if it seeped out of any welds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts