Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
NOTE: THE STARTER FROM CUMMINS IS USUALLY THE MOST EXPENSIVE ONE

Cummins 4BT CPL858 Starter Cross References:

Starter, Nipondenso, Cummins 3904466, Nipondenso

The P30 Chevy starter may be listed as an industrial equipment type. This starter is used with both automatic and manual Ford and GM transmission-flywheel- adapter sets found in P30 4BT retrofits.
FYI guys, the contacts & plunger for the 'other' starter will work in the Cummins 3904466 starter.
Larry B sells some very good ones, he just confirmed his part number R90SS ($22.95) will work for this starter. www.larrybs.com

· Registered
33 Posts
I have the Cummins 3604485RX starter 3 holer, ordered a replacement from Bluebird. Well that replacement has the solenoid and motor orientation bass ackwards, won't fit as it bumps my engine mounts. After more looking around and not finding what I need (every Google search comes up with the same 2 hole starter, not the right one), I think I will just swap the solenoid from the replacement, and see if the rotor will also swap.

· Registered
31 Posts
You can do crossovers at www.napaonline.com to get NAPA's part number.

Looks like they offer it in the Wilson line (this is for the Cummins 3904466 part number, blatant copy and paste operation):

Item#: WIL91295138

Price: $284.00
Core: $83.50

tax and shipping not included

Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime.

Attributes:
O.E. Manufacturer: Denso
Voltage: 12 Volt
Type: Gear Reduction
Kilowatt Rating: 2.5 Kw
Rotation: CW
# of Teeth: 13

Once a counterman, always a counterman.. :D
And no, I don't work for them anymore. Honest..

I know this was 12 years ago but im new to forums and have just found the stickies. As I am reading through i come across Machman's post and fell the hell out of my chair.

· Registered
498 Posts
I know this was 12 years ago but im new to forums and have just found the stickies. As I am reading through i come across Machman's post and fell the hell out of my chair.
I paid $109 for my new starter on eBay back in 2013. For the CPL 858 engine. Bolted right on and I have never had a problem with it.

· Registered
372 Posts
So confused as to what starter I need for the Chevy P30 as far as I know I have the turbo 400 transmission I have not gotten to go to the van yet as I have to have the starter to drive it home. I’m trying to find one online that fits. That’s cheap as I’m not planning on keeping the automatic transmission.

· Registered
13,451 Posts
The 4bt used in the Chey P30 or Ford E350 all used the same starter for manual or automatic. This only applies to engines with the factory fitted transmission adapter, not the SAE parts. The Cummins part # may have changed a half dozen times over the years. The starter is a Denso unit and it isn't cheap if you get the genuine item. The current Denso part # is 128000-0545 unless they've changed it. You can find the cheap clones in the $100-120 range. The genuine item may be closer to $400.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.