Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to this site and i was told that this was the place to get good info. I am looking to swap a 4bt into my 1994ford f150. I've searched many threads and i havn't seen any recent swaps where i can ask questions about specifics. I'll be using a 80's model p30 van and i would like to know if i could keep my auto e4od tranny with the swap? If so, would it cost more to keep the auto then to switch my tranny to a manual. I also want to know if my current setup with the 4.88 gears, lift, and 38in mud tires are a proper set up with the 4bt? My truck looks great and runs better right now. The fuel economy is around 5 to 8 mpg with my current gas engine setup. What is the most economical strategy to keeping this project affordable? I was going to sell it until i heard about the 4bt. I have read alot of post up here and i know that alot of you guys are pros. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
sharp looking truck. I don't know much about the ford transmissions, but didn't the 7.3 use the E40D?? Destroked, or Ford-cummins will make an adapter plate to bolt up to your Ford trans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what i was reading on other related post, i would need an electrical programmer system to make it work. Is that true? Do you know how to select the adapter for pricing on those sites?

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
You would want the cummins to small block ford adapter. Yes you will need a stand alone programer. I believe carcrafter22 on this site sells them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adapter cost $795 on destroked.com / stand alone programmer = no clue, i'm checking to see if the e4od is the same for gas/diesel now.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
another 750 to $1000 for the controller....... oh, by the way, most diesel converstions are not cheap!!! lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Diesel/gas e4od are not interchangeble, different bolt patterns. I heard that i will also need a fly wheel, and torque convertor as well. Which one will be correct for this application?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also see that i could swap my e4od for a zf-5 speed. The manual tranny would bolt up to the 4bt using an adaptor from a step van i guess. Then i read that i would have to build another drive shaft for the manual tranny and make other fabrications.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just swapped a 4bt into the same truck and it was a complete nut and bolt set-up. I have a 5-speed manual that bolted right to the Cummins even used the larger Cummins clutch, motor mounts are bolt in if you have the angled bread van mounts and the early ford chassis mounts that used the square rubber isolator. I used 1st gen Cummins rubber mounts with the angled bread can mounts and ford chassis mounts on the frame and everything bolted in, the trans stayed in the factory location as well.
For simplicity I would scrap the automatic and go with the standard, just my 2 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts