Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I have a 91 f140 I6 300 that id like to 4bt swap. Can someone point me in the best options transmission wise, I currently have the E40D. Also I’m pretty new to this so if someone could link me a thread or explain to me everything that I would need to make this possible. I know I can do the work I just need to know what parts I need.

Thanks-dean

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
Dean, welcome to the forum. You will find the vast majority of installs use a manual transmission. If you want to stay automatic there are several options. Your E4OD may be possible but there will be some mods needed. You will need an outboard transmission controller. The 4bt will need to have the SB Ford adapter plate which will need to be modified so you can reach the bolts to the torque converter. You will need the Cummins flex plate and wave ring assemblies. You'll need an new torque converter with a stall speed around 1400 RPM. Member camccardell I believe is using that transmission in his F150. Might do a search on his name and do some reading. A possibly better Ford auto might be the 4R100 which came behind diesels, but the mods would all be the same. Another option would be use one of the Dodge transmission. The 46RH and 47RH were both used on the 6bt Cummins. The main difference is the 47RH has a lockup torque converter. Those don't require a computer control. After those you hit the 47RE, etc. which are electronic. We see a few GM automatics used which are computer controlled and even fewer of the Allisons. Here's a link to Cam's main build. He has several other posts as well. https://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?20536-95-ford-F-X50-4BT-swap&highlight=camccardell

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 4BTA in a 87 Bronco with a NV4500 and the 3.5 axle ratio and it works quite well, but after years of driving I wish it was auto.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts