Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been prepare for a 4bt swap into my 97 1/2 ton suburban, but look like the swap is going to be sooner for my other vehicle a 2001 yukon denali AWD. the motor on the yukon is gone. My questions are will the 4bt that came with the TH400 adapter bolt up to the yukon existing trans, I think i can get a stand alone computer to make the trans shift. I really want to make this work, any help or inputs will greaty appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
it may bolt up but i don't think i would bolt a 4bt to any automatic designed for a gas motor. low end torque would shred it. consider a swap. good luck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The tranny bolt pattern is the same but the torque converter will either need a ring or have a torque converter shop relocate the mounting pads further out to match the TH 400 bolt pattern on a 700r4/4L60E diesel torque converter. That is whatI had done and costs $250 for a beefed up diesel converter and relocate the mounting pads.

You will run into clearence issues with the 4WD third memeber. Unless you lift it 4" the oil pan will have sectioned to clear the third member which is what I'm going through with my 93" suburban. I don't want to lift it, so I have to raise/mover the engine just right to fit in a stock suburban because these are very tall engines.

Let us know how its going.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The tranny bolt pattern is the same but the torque converter will either need a ring or have a torque converter shop relocate the mounting pads further out to match the TH 400 bolt pattern on a 700r4/4L60E diesel torque converter. That is whatI had done and costs $250 for a beefed up diesel converter and relocate the mounting pads.

You will run into clearence issues with the 4WD third memeber. Unless you lift it 4" the oil pan will have sectioned to clear the third member which is what I'm going through with my 93" suburban. I don't want to lift it, so I have to raise/mover the engine just right to fit in a stock suburban because these are very tall engines.

Let us know how its going.
I don't know what your mounts look like but I put in 6b and the front diff has no problems at all.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I have been prepare for a 4bt swap into my 97 1/2 ton suburban, but look like the swap is going to be sooner for my other vehicle a 2001 yukon denali AWD. the motor on the yukon is gone. My questions are will the 4bt that came with the TH400 adapter bolt up to the yukon existing trans, I think i can get a stand alone computer to make the trans shift. I really want to make this work, any help or inputs will greaty appreciated.:confused:
The biggest problem your goin to have is your wiring ,in 2000 Gm went with the bus wiring system ,so the wires do more than one function and the gauges won't work.

I whole wire harness will have to be rewired , and that will not be cheap as well as a new complete C/P .The next problem is the ABS that will be the next problem.
The SUV's have a ton of wiring with all those extra items.

Really need to think about this !

CrewCab59

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't know what your mounts look like but I put in 6b and the front diff has no problems at all.

CrewCab59
The mounts I used came with the motor. I imagine they are the standard GM tilt that mount at the front of the motor rather then the sid eof the block halfway back. Keep in mind, the engine is in the stock location as small block sat because the tranny remoined in the same location as well. I didn't move it back.

If someone has done a 4B swap into a 88-00 GM truck/SUV I would like to see pics because I'm always up for new ideals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just talked to a mechanic,he aviced to get a diesel spec 700r4 4wd trans. to replace the 4l60e and save on the stand alone system plus it will be suited better. he also said that i can use the accessories brackets and a/c compressor from a second generation 6bt, and he'll make the a/c system work. I don't know much about the wiring things, but if the chasis electrical won't effect then i guess it not going to be that big of a deal.As for the gauges i can frabicate a new instrument cluster that using the aftermarket gauges. Help me out guys with any things that i might encounter, I really love this vehicle and the fact that it is AWD, but i'm looking for something better than 13mpg.:confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
The newer trucks 01 and up have more room, the wireing is much easier and the gauges will work just fine. Give me a shout if you have questions. The mesage center gave me a problem till I realized it needs the alternator that it had before. The wireing you open up the harness and pull all the wires you dont need out all the way to the computer. You'll be down to about 15 wires when your done. the only wires that tie in with others along the way are the ground wires that trunk with others. No spiderweding with wires that go through all kinds of componants. They all go straight to the computer. So just remove them one at a time, it took me about 3 hours for the wiring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts