Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be doing a 4bt swap in place of a 287 in a dodge regular cab short bed 4x4.

A few concerns I am having are front suspension, transmission, and electronics.

I have access to a few different 4bt's, one paired to an allison, one paired to a 47RH, and one without a tranny. I am assuming the 47RH would be easiest for my project but I would like some input on tranny ideas.

As far as front end suspension goes would you keep the independent and beef it up or go all out and do a front axle conversion.

I am assuming I will be mimicking the electronics from an earlier dodge series truck which shouldnt be too hard to figure out.

If you have seen any threads on someone doing this to a close by truck please let me know. All input would be very much appreciated (especially on things that I may have overlooked) I will also be keeping up with pictures and posts throughout my entire swap.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Subscribed. I am putting an Isuzu 4BD1T into a Dodge 4x4 2003. I am hoping to run a 47RH behind mine, but I am not that far as of yet.

·
Registered
950 Posts
What trans do you have now?

You will be able to copy mine pretty closely other than rear driveshaft length...

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't have any transmission as of yet. The truck I am looking at for a donor, is a 2003 3/4 ton 4 door gas engine pick up. The engine is JUNK, so I am hoping that I can talk the guy into selling it to me. The reason for looking at a 47RH, is because it is not a electronically controled transmission, and maybe easier to hook all up. But the 47RE is easier to find, so I don't know which way to go as of yet ??????????

·
Registered
950 Posts
47rh can be controlled with two switches. RE had quite a few more wires. Im using a pressure switch for over drive, and an in cab switch for lock up.

The reason I asked is bc I had a 46re and the shifter/4x4 stuff are still setup (had to change floor shifter since I got a different tcase

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mattimus, I am putting my 4bt into a 2003 dodge quad cab 4x4 (it was in my 97 f-150 2wd ext cab for 5 years but the kids need more room) and am pondering on the engine mounts that held the 4.7 (it blew up, cracked piston bought the truck that way), are they strong enough?

With the front diff being where it is I am having a tough time getting the 4BT to fit. I took the oil pan off and have cut the pan to fit around the diff. Today I cut the old mounts off the plates I have on the engine to move them to where the new location will be. This is the sixth hole on the oil pan bolts from the back, the hole is centered on the stock engine mounts in the engine bay.

I will try to get some pic to show you. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts