Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, rather new here in that I've only posted once haha. I'm not sure if there is a dedicated thread or anything, but I live in Lake County, Ohio which is one of the 7 counties out of 88 that requires E Checks and whatnot. I am having one heck of a time trying to find a loophole so i can legally do my 4BT swap into my 2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ. Well, to make it street legal anyway. Is anyone here from Ohio and knows any work arounds to the Emissions laws? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I hope you would understand, Garret, that there's no way that anyone here on this forum can give you suggestions on how to break the law. This is beyond gray area stuff for what you're describing. Sometimes we just have to accept the fact that where we live is fraught with hidden costs and possibly insane and extreme limitations to our personal freedoms. Fortunately organizations like SEMA actively fight for our personal rights and for sensible freedoms while maintaining a safe environment, both from an EPA standpoint and from just getting out there on the road or on the dirt.

When your personal freedoms as an American Citizen are dependent upon having the right ZIP code you know that something is deeply and fundamentaly wrong with the government's level of control over your liberty. You can either move, stand up and fight, or support those who do defend our freedoms.

Your problem appears to revolve around where in particular your vehicle is registered, not where it's titled. That should give you sufficient information to effectively solve your own problem if combined with some cerebral effort and imagination on your part.

Please don't make further requests for members to tell you how to break the law. That's not what this website is here for. All of us battle certain illogical and lamebrained regulations that are regulations for the sake of being regulations. We either live with it or work to change it where possible but we don't dispense advice on how to break regulations, I'm sure you understand.

Reactions: J Mack

·
Registered
460 Posts
Very good advice from Jimmie. In my case and in the state of Missouri, because citizens were fed up that older vehicles were not passing emissions testing, the majority of voting citizens voted out the current emissions testing regulations. Now, all vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 are waived from emissions with the regulation that any engine swap must be made with the same model year of the vehicle or newer engine. That worked great for the swap in my 77 Ramcharger.
The bad? Now, it's harder to legally do a diesel swap in any 1996 or newer vehicle unless you live in a rural area.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i dont know if it helps. but for me i used the same year 4bt as my ranger,and i was able to get the title switched to diesel, so everything works out legally and where i live diesels prior to 06 don't have to be smoged tested, but for smog you should just need a particulate filter.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I believe every state has it's own laws about this. Biggest thing is to work with the laws and not against them. In our state, any vehicle newer than 1994 has to be hooked to a computer check system to determine that all smog controls are functional. Unless you're some kind of computer whiz kid that can fool the system (don't recommend that, the jail time and fines aren't worth it), a swap needs to be on a vehicle whose age won't be the problem. For example, if your vehicle had a catalytic converter when it came from the factory then it must have one after a swap, as much as you hate the thought of it. Of course you could always move to another state.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Here in Ca. they are very strict...to the point of excess,but the hobby crowd has some clout.My daughter is a DMV employee and being raised the way she was she understands the "car culture" so when the "odd ball" customer shows up IF they are polite and not trying to pull a fast one the will be sent to her because she is that offices "rule lawyer" and she will do what she can.Most offices will have someone like my kid so be nice if you can start solving this before you have spent too much on parts you may or may not be able to use.
The last resort in Ca. is to build enough of the total vehicle that it is titled as a "one off" like an experimental aircraft, if Ca. has that loophole other states may have a similar one.
A word to the wise my Kid would enjoy turning an A$$ hole scamer who is to trying USE her to break the law over to there investigators just much as she would helping you get your dream on the road....it's all in how you go about trying to accomplish your goal.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Get all of the kit car & engine swap laws for your state. You may find a loophole in an "Under 10 unit per year manufacturer"., as some states have. That would involve using an emissions refferee of some sorts. Study all the pertaining laws & find your loophole, them go to the referee that you will use & point out the loophole & if he agrees, have him initial the clause. This will then allow you to start, and when you go for the smog check, schedule with the same ref. If there are no loopholes, go to the ref station & follow the ref to his favorite watering hole. Buy him a few & hash out a way to make it happen.

Ed

·
Registered
817 Posts
Here in Pa there are different title designations, even a street rod one, which don't require emissions or even state inspection, however there are limitations on how many miles per year, and driving after dark. Also, vehicles registered over 7001 lbs are exempt from emissions. Don't know if Ohio does any of that or not, just something else to look into.
People in Pa sometimes register vehicles in OH rather than repair body rust.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Didn't want to just scare you off the forum, Garrett! There are exceptions like the guys have described above.

Many people have 'Multiple Residencies'. Like my neighbor who own 3 or 4 houses, she travels around to her houses and lives accroding to season or whims, must be nice. In my own case in Kommifornia I lived up north in a county that doesn't require retesting for emissions every few years, then moved south where they do require it. I maintain dual residencies within CA so that one of my vehicles that's subject to smog tests is registered up north, the other that's exempt is registered down south - legally! Also I have dual residency in regard to states, having one vehicle titled in another state where I maintain a residence, and where there's zero SMOG laws - legally.

So as described above there's legal ways to do it if you happen to have multiple addresses. Because it's possible to have multiples and also to physically reside [or not] at various addresses whenever you wish there's all kinds of latitude - legally.

·
Registered
208 Posts
When your personal freedoms as an American Citizen are dependent upon having the right ZIP code you know that something is deeply and fundamentally wrong with the government's level of control over your liberty. You can either move, stand up and fight, or support those who do defend our freedoms.
My new favorite quote!

Thanks Jimmie.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yes, sir! On the one hand, 'We are an Army of one' but on the other hand, 'There's strength in numbers' so the trick is to do what's necessary to be prepared within those two to answer any eventuality that rears its head at any time or place.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another factor to consider is whether your insurance co. will insure an "altered" vehicle, i.e, one that has been retitled from gas to diesel where a diesel version never existed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Another factor to consider is whether your insurance co. will insure an "altered" vehicle, i.e, one that has been retitled from gas to diesel where a diesel version never existed.
How would a Insurance Company know that my truck WAS retitled a Diesel ??, i understand that my truck was available with a Diesel option , but still how would they know that is was exempted ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Maybe they wouldn't, but why take the chance. When I repowered my '77 Blazer, I had to have it retitled so it would be exempt from emissions testing in NY State. The (potential) problem arose when the insurance co. noticed it was using diesel fuel, where that fuel was never utilized in a '77 Chevy.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
How would a Insurance Company know that my truck WAS retitled a Diesel ??, i understand that my truck was available with a Diesel option , but still how would they know that is was exempted ?
The DMV changes the fuel type on the title and registration so the insurance will know, if they catch it on an existing policy or on a new one??
I think the older the vehicle the less the chance that they would know what it should be,but it's the little sh!+ that can be the biggest pain at times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah sorry about this guys. When I posted that I gave myself a migraine trying to figure out how to do this. I found out a possibility though. Ashtabula county has no e check or anything. Houses are cheap in Ashtabula, I'll probably just go buy a small one and rent it out. And use that as my residence for the vehicle. Again sorry for the subject matter of the thread. Haha I love the fact that I am considering buying a house just so I can have a diesel Jeep.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I know I shouldn't post this...

but you guys need to move to rural KY. When I had my truck inspected (not smog, vin check, required when an out of state vehicle enters KY) the officer had me read the vin to him.. I could have read what ever I wanted as long as it was close to the vin on the title he was happy... matter fact, part of the vin was missing on the tag and he said close enough. Then I told him how the truck use to be a 2wd and now is a 4x4, and was gas and now is diesel and he said ... cool... have a good night.... he really wasn't impressed... don't think he cared one way or the other

Point is some places are very relaxed and others not some much...kind of like what jimmy said.... one other thought is title it in a "relaxed state, or county" if you have relatives there and then transfer into your name.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Honestly - I'd never heard of emissions testing outside of California until I joined here lol.

I didnt even bother changing the registration or title here in Iowa

Jake

·
Registered
784 Posts
Most states and Insurance Co. could care less, however, Federally a 4BT is only legal in 1ton and larger vehicles.
Some day we may all be SOL.

Reactions: 2Dodges
1 - 20 of 25 Posts