Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car Scooter
Okay guys I'm wanting to know what all this build is going to take to get it going in the right direction. Been wanting to do the swap for years and ready to get started. I'm wanting to know what changes will have to be made for the truck to handle the 4bt, the truck is a fully refurbished 1945 pickup. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

· Registered
141 Posts
I think a lot of the running gear is essentially the same, and a lot of the sheet metal between these and the civilian version of the PW is similar, but being 2WD makes things easier from a drivetrain standpoint.

You're going to want to spend some time in the stickies section, there's a ton of info to absorb. The biggest one will be finding the right motor, an air-air aftercooler will require a completely custom cooling solution, while one with a water-air cooler would allow you to re-use stock unit, although probably with some modification. The good news is these engines fit well in the engine bay, still tight but do-able. Without having to worry about a transfer case the length of the transmission isn't as big a deal, but are you thinking auto or manual. Some of the manual trannies will fit with minimal modification to the sheetmetal. An automatic I'm not so sure about.

The biggest thing to remember is that the vehicle is a system. Adding a 4BT and OD transmission might let you easily cruise at 65 or 70, but you'd still be trying to stop and steer with the same systems that were designed for the slower original speeds, so axle gearing, brake upgrades, and steering modification may all be needed to make this a safe, driveable vehicle. Let us know what you want out of the truck and we can help point you toward the right options. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.