Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im intereseted in doin a 4bt swap in my 94 dodge ram 1/2 ton. and i was wondering if stock axles would hold up. and wat transmission can be used. and also wat kinda of power can be got from the 4bt im lookin for a 250hp and 450+tq. any info about this would be greatly appreciated my email address is [email protected]

thanks
THRASHER

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
plenty of information on this site regarding power increases.

those axles will probably be fine. The chances of you grenading them are low enough that I wouldn't worry about them until you blow one up. Sounds like a sweet setup.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
It also matters which tranny you have. An automatic tends to cushion the hit on axles but sliding your foot of the edge of the clutch pedal at 2,500 rpm is a whole 'nother story! If your 'THRASHER' name describes your driving style then you probably want to look at axles that are up to your impulses. I drive my truck like an old man, mainly because I am, but I built it so it's ready for anything I want to do. That includes slipping my foot off the side of the clutch pedal at 2,300 rpm if I suddenly get a notion ;)

That meant Dana 60HD axle and Spicer 1410 u-joints, a driveshaft built by Tom Wood's Custom Driveshaft [on the net] and everything else upgraded to 1 ton specs. Build it for how you'll drive it or else you'll be very unhappy in the long run.

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

[I got one of Tom's custom-built driveshafts cheaper than a local shop would cut down my puny stocker! He has a very good reputation, builds real tough stuff.]

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am making plans to do the same swap with even the same power ratings, but mine will be on a 98 QC 4x4. Any info that I get other than here, I will send to your email address. Mine is [email protected] Any info that you can send will be appreciated. Thanks. Scott

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
chrysler 9 1/4" rears have reliability issues in stock trim especially with a trac lok differential
More information please, a vague statement like that needs some data. with a 9.25" ring gear, they seem like a pretty strong unit to me. Mine was behind a 360 for 220k miles and just now seems like it needs new pinion bearings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
trak lok's typically wear out where the wavy metal strips go over the clutch packs

they can take out the carrier

trak lok cases aren't strong by themselves

with the power that thrasher wants to use, I think you would be better off getting a dana 60 with a 4 pinion open diff or a good locker/limited slip

I'm sure the 9 1/4" could survive in a 2wd application if you aren't beating on it but with increased torque, large tires, and shock loads a 4x4 sees, no way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts