Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strong running 4BT but would like the extra horsepower of the 4BTA. If I found a 4BTA with a cracked block for parts, what parts would I need off it to convert mine to the aftercooler set up?

Is it even feasible or not worth the time and effort? If it is a bolt on install, I would like to consider pursuing it. Thanks.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Use the Search, Luke!

All you'd really need is the aftercooler and assorted plumbing. About the only other difference in the two is the compression ratio is slightly higher on the BT vs the BTA.

Lots of folks here have added aftercoolers (or intercoolers, as some may call them..). Do a bit of searching and you can find the part numbers, pictures, etc.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I have a strong running 4BT but would like the extra horsepower of the 4BTA. If I found a 4BTA with a cracked block for parts, what parts would I need off it to convert mine to the aftercooler set up?

Is it even feasible or not worth the time and effort? If it is a bolt on install, I would like to consider pursuing it. Thanks.

You just need the aftercooler parts air to air or water.The rest of the engine is the same.

Scott

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sounds good. Thanks for the help!

What is a fair price for these parts? Complete air to air set up. Ballpark range.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I paid $100 bucks for my brand new intercooler and maybe $20 bucks for all my tubing (I built it all myself) I don't remember what the boots cost, but it wasn't too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do you, or anyone else, have an opinion on the tubing kits on ebay for around $60-$80 or so? They have aluminum tubing, elbows, clamps, and boots. I have an intercooler from a Volvo, and need to get the tubing ordered to complete my swap.

Jim

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Some or most of those kits are for the inports which the boots are only rated for 15psi .

Just do some checking.

Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
most of the intercoolers you find on ebay if they have a pretty good core size and >2.5 inch input/outputs will be fine. dont get any of the "little" intercoolers that are take offs off of jdm imports, most of them are waay too small. i know over on turboford 2 popular junkyard ones are the Izuzu NPR, and the powerstroke with the aluminum end tanks. i have to caution you against getting aluminum pipe off of ebay, some of that is seam formed and for low pressures, and you almost always cant tell the difference. just use 2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust pipe and paint it if it bothers you. for couplers, use silicon if you can afford it. 5 ply silicon is almost mandatory for anything over 2 bar. that and t-bolt clamps will keep you all together. a good source for parts is http://store.airflo.com/intake-tubing.html
lots of guys over at turboford have used em.

flyin

·
Banned
427 Posts
DONT FORGET you need all the bta fuel lines. also the blower, pistons, timming , injectors , recalibrate your fuel pump, and often times the inline fuel pump if you want the 130 hp cpl #. waste of money for 10 hp and a ve pump engine . i,ve got both engines and you cant tell the difference going down the road.
IMO
BOB

·
Registered
854 Posts
tubing kits on ebay for around $60-$80 or so? They have aluminum tubing, elbows, clamps, and boots. I have an intercooler from a Volvo,
Those cheap rubber boots are just blue vinyl and have no layers of reinforcement fabric. 15 psi max.

Most Volvo intercoolers don't flow enough air to keep a bumped up 4BT happy. Maybe a stock one might be fine, but they have crimped on end tanks and can't handle a lot of PSI either. Get one of the 3" x 18" 31" intercoolers from ebay for $160 and never look back.

Turning up the VE pump is a piece o' cake, but make SURE you have a EGT/pyrometer in the exhaust so you can see if twisting the screws is causing a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sorry for the thread hijack...I would like an answer to something now. I bought a Volvo intercooler because many threads on here said they work great. Now I'm being told that they don't. Did I just waste $50 on something that won't work? :pissed: And more importantly, the time it will take to get something else. If the Volvo won't work, I'm going to cut a hole in the hood for the aftercooler and be done with it!

Jim

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a volvo intercooler from a previous project. I dont know what kind of volvo its from, but it has 2.5" in and outlets. The overall dimension is slightly larger than the grumman intercoolers. I think it will work fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts