Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Detroit Section Caretaker
4,132 Posts
This thread makes me think:

"If you can't afford to do it right the first time then you can't afford to do it over."

· Registered
15 Posts
The 700r4 gets a bad rap because of the trannies built before 1987. Yea they wee notoriously weak and would break at a moments notice, but after '87 they were a hell of alot better. My buddies and I have used 700r4's off road for many years. Most never had a problem with getting the living crap beat out of them. One was in a multi purpose rig and another was in my mud runner. My mud runner has a 600 horse 454 in it, one ton axles with deep gears, and a set of 44 inch boggers on it. Never had a problem with the trans.

And if I remember right, when chevy first intro'ed the Duramax, they had more than enough problems making the Allison live behind the Duramax.

The aftermarket is full of products for the 700r4 that are reasonbly priced. Rebuilding an auto trans isn't really all that hard if you pay attention to what your doing. The 700r4 can easily be upgraded to handle 700+ ft-lbs of torque.

The much revered TH400 has more problems than what people realize. Like the second gear band that is notoriously weak. Yet it is one of the most sought after trans out there. Nobody calls it junk.

I guess the moral is, if your going to go out on a limb and use parts for things they weren't intended for, then be ready to pay the price.

Edit: Check out these guys. Kinda 700r4 gurus. Even have the parts to build a diesel 700r4.

http://www.transmissionhead.com/#Parts

· Registered
68 Posts
I Used to work a large transmission rebuilder that built Everything. The machine shop would Do custom Items every once in a while. They would build a TH400 patterned 700 converter with low stall. Basically they just welded lugs on the back of converter while it was apart to replace the clutch lining in it. One of the other tricks on 700's was some of them would get a hole drilled in the valve body so the instant it shifted into o/d it would lock up the converter.

· Registered
16 Posts
Old thread revival, passing along info

The adapter plates are really easy to make if you have the measurements. Here's the plate I had made thanks to DieselDurango.

The problem with modding the wave ring, is it weakens the ring and it will fail at some point with all the vibes, ask me how I know. I got about 30K out of mine before it cracked:grinpimp: This plate was cut by BudBuilt in NC, it turned out real nice and is getting installed with the new wave ring.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Automotive exhaust

Auto part Rotor Locking hubs Flange Wheel

· Registered
16 Posts
Nope, 1/8 is the thickest though. DD had already used the plate, and there is a gap big enough to fit it in between the wave ring and torque converter. I've done a rough fit and it seems fight, and as soon as I get the old wave ring adapter off, and re-install the new one, we'll see how it works:grinpimp:

· Registered
216 Posts
Looks like an easy way for me to use a 3 bolt 4l60e converter instead of having one welded in the correct pattern. I would also imagine it reinforcing the wave ring a bit. Any thoughts on welding the adapter to the wavering or do you think that might cause a fatigue issue?

Major points for thinking outside the box and coming up with a simple solution!

· Registered
16 Posts
Well, any time you cut or weld the wave ring, I would guess that it would weaken it a little.

It works out good, because you can use all 6 holes on the wave ring and the plate which adds a little strength, and 3 of the 6 for the torque converter which is a direct bolt on for the 700R4/4L60E.

Like I said, I can't take credit, DieselDurango was the man with the plan, I just mooched the plans:grinpimp:

· Registered
342 Posts
I just email the company in NC I found on the internet. Is this Budbuilt the same ones who specialize in Toyotas?

· Registered
826 Posts
how much did this cost you?

· Registered
16 Posts
I just email the company in NC I found on the internet. Is this Budbuilt the same ones who specialize in Toyotas?
Yep, that's him. Bud is a great guy to work with, he does some real nice offroad fabrication work.

Bud came thru when a few other vendors strung me along, and I was really in a pinch to get the truck back on the road.

Cheers

· Registered
342 Posts
Bud cost me 42 bucks (shipped) it took him 3 weeks....holy cow!! I guess PATC has one up now too 75 bucks

· Registered
342 Posts
thanks for the help phrogg. Bud told me you were in Afghanistan. Be safe and I apprecitate the info.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.