Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in planning for my 4BT swap into my '76 Scout II, I have decided that the ZFS5-42 gas tranny is what I will go with (because it is a direct bolt-up...right?). I wanted to go with the diesel version because of the more usable 4.14 1st gear. However through my research I believe it wont mate up due to having a different bell housing (big block...i think). Please correct me if i am wrong here!

So then moving on, I would like to keep the Dana 20 Transfer Case. I will not be changing out my front axle to a driver side drop. I will keep my SOA D44 passenger drop front axle. I like the D20 due to it being "all gear", compact, and strength. I have seen a few kits (for Broncos) i think that will mate up the ZF to the D20 like this one...broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-11395-zf-5-speed-to-dana-20-transfer-case-adapter.html

Am I seeing this right so far? Or am I missing something?

Next, what would be my best option for the clutch pedal assembly?

I appreciate all of your advice? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
The SBF ZF will ONLY bolt right up if you get a 4BT to SBF adapter plate!!!!

Yes that D20 to ZF adapter is the only one I know of to mate a D20 to a ZF BUT it is for a Ford version D20 driver's drop configuration. No idea what the Scout used or exactly what you'd need to mount any pass drop TC to a 6 bolt outlet Ford ZF. All Fords were driver's drop. There are several 6 bolt pass drop TCs but I don't know about the shaft size/spline counts matching. You can also research the Dana 300 TCs as they are all gear drive too.

I'm sure you can look on some Scout sites about the best way to go about installing a hydraulic clutch pedal and master.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
Might be money ahead to get a 205 if theres enough room between the rails.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Upon further investigation I looks like the jeep d 300 is a passenger drop. Advance adapters makes a kit to mate the 300 to the zf trans.

So now I'm thinking what prevents me from cutting the bell off a diesel zf (for the desired 4.14 st) and weld on a sbf bell?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you planing on working it so hard that you need the diesel trans that badly?
Don't plan on working it "hard". I only want the diesel version because the first gear is 4.14:1 versus the gas version has a 5.76:1 or something like that. With the diesel zf I could actually use first like a first gear not a granny gear just when crawling.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
Upon further investigation I looks like the jeep d 300 is a passenger drop. Advance adapters makes a kit to mate the 300 to the zf trans.

So now I'm thinking what prevents me from cutting the bell off a diesel zf (for the desired 4.14 st) and weld on a sbf bell?
I wouldnt attempt this. Cant you swap the diesel gears into the sbf housing?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm a welder also, and what you have stated sounds like a real pain. Getting everything completely lined up so you don't eat pilot bearing, getting the aluminum to hot and messing up a seal, potentially ruining two expensive transmissions if things don't go as planed.

Not trying to sound like a S.A. but that is way above my skill level

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
Why? I am welder by trade. What other concerns are there?
If you ask a question like that I guess theres no concerns at all. Plasma or sawzall:lol: Im a certified welder(TIG mostly) by trade. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm a welder also, and what you have stated sounds like a real pain. Getting everything completely lined up so you don't eat pilot bearing, getting the aluminum to hot and messing up a seal, potentially ruining two expensive transmissions if things don't go as planed.

Not trying to sound like a S.A. but that is way above my skill level
So if I attempted this I think the best way to go about it is to place/bolt the tranny into a jig. Cut the housing off in a good spot. Make two identical rings from 1/2" flat plate. Drill for bolts and alignment pins. Verifyshaft distance from jig and trim new housing to accommodate 1" of spacer/bolt up rings and weld a little bit at a time.

Btw...what's a S.A. ?

This is not a difficult process. Just a lot of attention to details and good lay out for cuts.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My bad. Fixed it. But newer Chevys went to the 6 bolt pattern also. Seems a Ford 31 spline input shaft in a pass drop 6 bolt 205 would be much cheaper than D20 adapters IMO. Only bad might have to grind some for shift rail clearance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-NP205-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ecee2c284&vxp=mtr 25 bucks. They usually hover 50-75 range.
Well, to be fair, round pattern Chevy 205's are about as common as hens teeth. The real rare ones are the round 205s with VSS speedo housings.

OTOH, if you want a pass. drop 205 AND 3:1 low range AND have money to burn, JB conversions has the LoMax 205 available again. $1600ish in kit form, and $2800ish for a complete new case. Or you can get a weaker Atlas for similar money, but with more low range options. All it takes is $$$.

If you ask a question like that I guess theres no concerns at all. Plasma or sawzall:lol: Im a certified welder(TIG mostly) by trade. Good luck.
I say use teh sawzall and give'r hell! :lol:

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
This is not a difficult process.
Are you a machinist as well or understand what a thousandth of an inch is? If you think this will be simply done, I dont think you realize the process.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If you have access to tool to modify the bell housing correctly wouldn't it be easier to make an adapter plate that adapts the diesel bell housing pattern to the SBF cummins adapter, or even just copy the destroked adapter plate.

Ive got a mill, lathe, cnc plasma, mig, tig, portable welding truck, iron worker, ect. and Im just saying that cutting the bell housing off one transmission and grafting it on to another seems to be the least cost effective, most time consuming, risky deal. On the other hand making an aluminum adapter (or steel) would be much easier, and if you mess up you throw the aluminum in the scrap pile.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
If you have all the tools at your disposal, and the knowledge to use them, then perhaps chopping the bells is your preferred method to go about this.
I have read about putting the diesel gears into a gasser case though I couldn't find the exact write-up quick enough to want to keep searching for you (so if interested you'll need to do your own looking). I did find that apparently you had to keep the Gasser's input shaft. Personally I would exhaust all efforts along this path before concocting a one-off piece that would require the same procedure should something happen to this one.
Also if someone has all the equipment at their disposal couldn't they conceivably make an adapter ring to put the diesel case to the SBF or SAE3 adapter plate and space it so that they could just simply bolt a 1/2-3/4" plate of steel to the flywheel to attach the clutch and house a new pilot bearing? This sounds EXTREMELY simple to me compared to the cutting/welding and precision needed to have a bolt on BH face AND easily replicable if they were so inclined to sell a handful of them!;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
... Im just saying that cutting the bell housing off one transmission and grafting it on to another seems to be the least cost effective, most time consuming, risky deal
haha... If I wanted to save money and time to sit on the couch and watch reruns of American Idol I would buy a Toyota and drive it for 500,000 miles with no issues.

just looking for options. Now that everybody is thinking , I agree that an adapter is the best way to go. I was not able to find one. I am hearing that " destroked" makes one!

I guess my main point is that if I am going to use a bunch of my time and money to do a swap, I will have exactly what I wanted when its all said and done. Money is always an issue that is why I am looking to all of great knowledge here for advice on how to make it work the way I want it the first time...so I can get back to watching American Idol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I see that Destroked has adapters for "cummins to zf" and "4bt to ...". Is there a difference between Cummins and a 4bt bell pattern?

I see they also make an adapter for a Cummins to a ZF6! I like the idea of a 6speed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts