Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anybody put an AX15 behind a 4bt? Success? Failure? Incredible exploding gear mess?

Would you do it?

Jeep has a NP231 xfer case, so I know I can clamp a NV4500 transmission on it. That said - do you know if the NV4500 and the AX15 are even remotely the same length? If not, is it possible to compensate for this?

The donor vehicle is a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 6cyl 4.0.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hello,

Has anybody put an AX15 behind a 4bt? Success? Failure? Incredible exploding gear mess?

Would you do it?

Jeep has a NP231 xfer case, so I know I can clamp a NV4500 transmission on it. That said - do you know if the NV4500 and the AX15 are even remotely the same length? If not, is it possible to compensate for this?

The donor vehicle is a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 6cyl 4.0.

Thanks.
I'm sure it could be done but i really don't think it should be done. The 4BT puts out way too much torque for that AX15 to handle. Even if you got a fresh ax15 i wouldn't even try it. The NV4500's aren't that exensive and won't need a special adapter to mount the bellhousing.

lengthwise they might be close but they are definitely A LOT bigger trans. you can always get driveshafts lengthened/shortened for your needs.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am in the process of doing my 4bt swap into my 97 jeep wrangler. I am going to try the AX-15 first. I have been doing some research and if you are going to be doing normal street driving with maybe some deer hunting trails i think the trans should be fine. People are putting superchargers on their 4.0 L jeeps and getting crazy power out of them and the transmissions from what I know (under normal driving conditions) are holding out. Worse case senario it destroys the transmission then you have to put a nv4500 behind it. The adaptor costs around 300 dollars from www.novak-adapt.com . Here is a link to a supercharger website with charts to show the power difference. http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/dodge/wrangler40/wrangler40.htm

my$.02 worth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have experience with this. My motor is basically a stock cpl767 105hp, I made the adapter myself so I am not to familar with the advance adapters kit. I have put almost 20k on it since the conversion, no problems with transmission what so ever. Keep in mind I mostly drive highway miles and don't pull any large loads. The nv4500 is definetly a sronger transmission, in my opinion a little overkill for the 4bt because it will handle a 6bt. There is not many choices of popular manual transmission that are much lighter then an nv4500 that I know of though!

The main advantage I would see matching the 4bt to the ax-15 is that you could use all stock drive shafts, the stick would come up through the floor the same, original tranny mount, etc, basically making it more of simple swap in a wrangler or cherokee.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What about an NV3500? Do you think that would hold up?

·
Registered
390 Posts
What about an NV3500? Do you think that would hold up?
I think it would be the same as the AX-15. I saw somewhere on the internet where it shows what kind of torque the transmissions can handle. If my memory serves me right the NV3500 or NV3550 will handle just a little more than the AX-15. The NV3500 series has a 1st and 2nd gear problem from what I have researched.

my $.02.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts