Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6.34:1 Chevy NV4500. I am considering replacing my 454 with a Cummins 4bt in my blazer. I have read many postings, and there seems to be some problem adapting the 4bt to the Early chevy NV. I cannot see how a SM465, Th400, can be mated to the 4bt, but the NV that I have will not? I understand that the Dodge bellhousing cannot be used with my trans, neither can the Dodge input shaft. but if people are using 454 chevy Clutchs behind the 4bt with manual Trans why can't I use the setup I have with the 4bt?

Question No.2 I My bellhousing has the Slave Cylinder on the Passenger side uderneath the starter. Will this interfere with the Chevy Adapter that is bolted to the back of the 4bt engine in the Chevy models?

Question No.3 I know someone with a Issuzu 6cyl in a chevy dually that has been running a SM465 for years. They have experienced one clutch failure that I know of. Is their not a stout clutch available or is the Chevy setup just doomed to fail?

This is a great forum but I am exhausted looking for the answe to this question. I want to be sure I have my facts strait before I commit to this swap.

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
so long as you get a chevy adapter and the chevy flywheel it will bolt up. The only trouble I could see from the slave would be the exhaust down pipe, not a big deal just a little close

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

Does your SM465 have the small input shaft or the large? How about the rear axle, and Ujoints. I have a 6 lug 9.25" SF14bolt that came out of a late model truck I think it will be fine with 35" tires.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
To mount the sm465 or Nv4500 ( 93 - 95 ) you'll need the Gm / Cummins manual adapter set . They have the samll input ,and yes the same clutch 6.2 and 454 clucth.

Scott

·
Registered
389 Posts
To mount the sm465 or Nv4500 ( 93 - 95 ) you'll need the Gm / Cummins manual adapter set . They have the small input ,and yes the same clutch 6.2 and 454 clutch.

Scott
Scott...

I am assuming also that if he gets the adapter set...then he will either have the 10 degree tilt in the engine...or he can set it up to have the tilt with the transmission?

I believe that I replied to another post about this and FORGOT that the cummins/chev adapter will work.

From a cost perspective...is it worth it to source the gm/cummins stuff and use an early 4500? OR is one better off to just find a 96 and newer chevy 4500?

I guess it depends if you have the early 4500 already...or got one for a steal.

Not trying to hijack...just trying to add some more detail for future reference....and add some more useless knowledge (that I may never use) in my brain. LOL

Jim

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Yes the Gm/Cummins will have a tilted adapter or split the difference trans and engine or tilt the trans and heat and bend the shifter.

Cost wise it's cheaper on him becuase he already has the trans . Since he using a 4bt than it will work fine .

Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok I am thinking of doing similar thing I right now have a early sm465 in my truck and I have a 454 I want to convert to a cummins but not sure what's need and where to get it I have a setup like a old ups truck since I am running a ramp truck and I could use better fuel mileage

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yes the Gm/Cummins will have a tilted adapter or split the difference trans and engine or tilt the trans and heat and bend the shifter.

Cost wise it's cheaper on him becuase he already has the trans . Since he using a 4bt than it will work fine .

Scott
He is correct on the tilt factor. We got a bread truck that we are tearing down now that has the NV4500 and noticed the engine and Trans are tilted at different angles

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here are part numbers to do cummins swap and using the sm465 tranny which I believe uses the same adaptor and bellhousing as the nv4500

3910516 Transmission Adapter 289.96

3906803 Flywheel Reman/Used 400.00

3913056 Flywheel New 870.34

3934080 Spacer, Starter Motor 72.43

3906804 Cover, Flywheel Housing 276.11
Reman/Used

3916101 Cover, Flywheel Housing 648.34
New
Cover Flywheel Housing=Bell housing I think.

3964432NW Starter, Denso, 12V, 268.84
13T, 2.5KW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts