Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned that the shop that is working my swap has an issue with mating up my Cummins 4BT and HD NV4500. I bought a bellhousing from the correct era (1998 I think), but they are saying it does not bolt up to the 4BT (it bolts to the NV4500 just fine.)

Am I missing an adapter between the blaock and bellhousing? If so, what is the name of it and a picture would be worth a thousand words....

Thanks all. I should have pics soon to help explain my dilemma.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Engine plate.

I just bought a engine backing plate from a junk yard for a 98 dodge cummins truck. The trouble is most junk yards sell the backing plate with the engine. I think I payed $45.00. Good luck

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I installed a 4BT to an NV4500 and needed the Cummins/Dodge adapter plate, then the bellhousing, then trans. Also there's a needle roller input shaft bearing for trans input shft to flywheel, better than the bronze bushing.

You cannot install anything in the way of bellhousings or even auto trannys to your engine without the correct adapter plate. There's usually some here in the classifieds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got both the bellhousing and flywheel housing (the adapter between the motor and bellhousing) from yards on www.car-parts.com. I got the bellhousing for $75 and the adapter for $50. Shipping was around $10 each (from different places).

Jim
That is where I got my supposedly "complete" kit. There is no drop down for "flywheel housing".....how do I search for one?

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
That is where I got my supposedly "complete" kit. There is no drop down for "flywheel housing".....how do I search for one?
What exactly was included in the incomplete "complete kit" that you purchased?
Flywheel?
Clutch assembly 12-1/2" or 13"
Starter?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What exactly was included in the incomplete "complete kit" that you purchased?
Flywheel?
Clutch assembly 12-1/2" or 13"
Starter?

1998 Bellhousing, flywheel, and core starter. No one mentioned a flywheel housing/adapter and it was not included.

I figured I would buy a new clutch set up when the time comes......

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
The one you need would be from a 94 - 98 Dodge which is the thicker one. Remember the 89 - 93 will not work.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I just learned that the shop that is working my swap has an issue with mating up my Cummins 4BT and HD NV4500. I bought a bellhousing from the correct era (1998 I think), but they are saying it does not bolt up to the 4BT (it bolts to the NV4500 just fine.)

Am I missing an adapter between the blaock and bellhousing? If so, what is the name of it and a picture would be worth a thousand words....

Thanks all. I should have pics soon to help explain my dilemma.
Here is a picture of the Cummins/Dodge Flywheel Housing Adapter you need to couple a NV-4500 or NV-4500HD Bell House to. The Dodge Part Number is 4761247.

Paul

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thats how I found mine. They are listed under Bellhousing. Some yards show Bellhousing only (that means no adapter), some show adapter only (so they don't have the bellhousing). I got my bell from Texas, they had several on hand for around $50 each. The adapter came from a yard in Kentucky. I think they had a few as well. I thought about investing a few bucks and buying all I could from these guys, considering how much they fetch on ebay, but decided to leave them there for other 4bt swappers to have access to.

Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a picture of the Cummins/Dodge Flywheel Housing Adapter you need to couple a NV-4500 or NV-4500HD Bell House to. The Dodge Part Number is 4761247.

Paul
Thanks for the pic and part number. Makes sense now.

Called a couple places today, and one had some adapters, but the part number the guy read to me was 3923045. Is this the pre 94 skinny adapter that is for the wrong application?

I will keep looking....

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thanks for the pic and part number. Makes sense now.

Called a couple places today, and one had some adapters, but the part number the guy read to me was 3923045. Is this the pre 94 skinny adapter that is for the wrong application?

I will keep looking....
I have no idea what that part number is for. If the adapter is very thin, most likely its 1989-1993 for the Getrag. Not usable in your application.

Paul

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no idea what that part number is for. If the adapter is very thin, most likely its 1989-1993 for the Getrag. Not usable in your application.

Paul
Having worked in a machine shop, my guess it is a casting number or revision number cast into the part from the mold. It is frustrating not being able to see the part that the dismantler has in order to figure out if it is the "thin one" or the proper one.

Is there any identifiable measurements I could get for the proper one? Like the measurement at the boss above the starter mount, or the measurement a the 11o'clock mount, etc?

Thank you for your help. I just pulled out my notes from our phone conversation a long, long time ago (Jan 06?). I am sure I will have more as I progress. At least I am getting started--better late than never.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

Paul
# 3923045 is for 94 - 2001 manual or auto.
There are different # for different years for the same adapter ,the adapter is 2 5/16 thick.

Scott

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
I just checked the ones I have. The 89 - 93 mics at 1.250 inches thick and the 94 I have mics at 2.380 inches thick, both measured at the upper mating surface where it attaches to the engine block (12 O'clock position in Paul's picture). My 94 has a casting number of 3920381 and has 94 also cast into it as the year reference.

·
Registered
292 Posts
94-2002 will fit manual or auto.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts