Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at using just a ford small block flywheel and a LUK Pro-Gold Clutch system.

Just double checking to make sure I'm right:grinpimp:

·
Vendor
2,599 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
flywheel

YOU'LL NEED A flywheel from the cummins to ford set up out of the bread vans ..I think the flywheel is heavier and it bolts to the cummins crank then the clutch set up has a disk that fits the NP435 ..Only piece I think worked was the ford bell housing ...Seems like you can buy the hold flywheel and clutch set up off the net ..Maybe one of our vendors will chime in .

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YOU'LL NEED A flywheel from the cummins to ford set up out of the bread vans ..I think the flywheel is heavier and it bolts to the cummins crank then the clutch set up has a disk that fits the NP435 ..Only piece I think worked was the ford bell housing ...Seems like you can buy the hold flywheel and clutch set up off the net ..Maybe one of our vendors will chime in .
I just need to know the size of the flywheel and the bolt mounting and I can order it from a supplier of mine. I just am unsure of the right flywheel:grinpimp:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just need to know the size of the flywheel and the bolt mounting and I can order it from a supplier of mine. I just am unsure of the right flywheel:grinpimp:
The right flywheel is the the one which Cummins mated to the Ford transmissions. The following post has the part number and the details. If your supplier can actually get it for you, please come back with details such as price, etc. The only source I am aware of is Cummins. Either you know more than the rest of us, or you don't know quite as much as you think.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841&highlight=flywheel+comparison

The link was already provided to you. Did you bother to read it before repeating the question?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Flywheel

I was thinking that some one posted up one for me that came with Flywheel and disk.. clutch .. and throw out bearings.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I was thinking that some one posted up one for me that came with Flywheel and disk.. clutch .. and throw out bearings.
The clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing are the same as a Ford Windsor small block, for a given transmission. The flywheel is Cummins.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing are the same as a Ford Windsor small block, for a given transmission. The flywheel is Cummins.
Okie doke tha is the info I needed:grinpimp:

Only other question I have is the flywheel the same as all other cummins applications? IE what comes in the 5.9L

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
Only other question I have is the flywheel the same as all other cummins applications? IE what comes in the 5.9L
Nope, different diameters and thicknesses. You can NOT mix and match family sets of drive end parts.

·
Registered
618 Posts
So i can't just go buy a flywheel for a cummins to make it work?
I'm assuming that your use of the Ford package indicates your intent to use the Ford Flywheel housing assembly, so the following responses are with that in mind.

Well, that depends. You can buy the RIGHT flywheel from Cummins, which has already been pointed out, and make that work. The flywheel is casting #3906613. There may be another revised number, but it will be for the same part. No, You can not use a Dodge Cummins flywheel. No, you can not use an SAE flywheel. No, you can not use a GM flywheel. You can not use any other flywheel than the one intended for use with the flywheel housing assembly.

I don't know why you keep rephrasing the question, in expectation of a different answer. There is tons of information here about the subject, and you have been told twice the specific thread which answers your question.

For the last time......if you want to use a Ford flywheel, you have to use a Ford flywheel housing adapter, If you want to use a Dodge Cummins Flywheel, then you have to use one of the Dodge Cummins adapters(the one which matches your application, there are more than one). If you want to use a GM flywheel, you have to use a GM flywheel housing adapter, and if you want to use an SAE flywheel, you have to use an SAE flywheel housing adapter(again the one which matches your application)

Any deviation from this little rule of thumb implies that you are going to be fabbing up some sort of adapter plate, or using an aftermarket plate, and in that case, you need to figure it out for yourself, or contact whoever manufactured the adapter.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
flywheel ..

Well you got the flywheel no. you needed if that no. hasn't been updated..
And the clutch set up to use .. each Adapter come off the 4bt block and goes to your bell housing of choice .. In your case a Small Block Ford ..
Keep reading and posting you'll get there ..

·
'69 FJ55 Land Cruiser
1,660 Posts
I think the number was posted earlier. It is a PITA but in this app you have to souce the right obscure flywheel and it is a Cummins number. Or you could mess with using a GM one if you could find one (which is usually an even rarer/more obscure application, so you could probably trade it for Ford as well). If you get it from Cummins its a fortune, I found one used for $50 once and that was a good deal... Hope it helps Paul!

The Borg Warner T-19 version has the casting number 3906613, there is some discussion about this part number in Bob's FAQ I think...

The biggest issue with using a 5.9 flywheel is they are the wrong diameter, tooth count, etc. There is no way to make it work without the right matching Dodge bolt pattern flywheelhousing/Cummisn adapter...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Let's see if this throws a wrench in everything.
Well, that sort of comes under the disclaimer of a deviation from the rule. Aside from that, have you got it all working out? Rather than simplifying, it really creates a large number of variables which need to be measured to ensure compatibility. Is the input shaft close enough to the length of the Getrag version, to iwork without any guestimations, or does it require a lot of mods to make it work. It is certainly an interesting option, if you already have the Dodge/Cummins adapter and flywheel, along with the bellhousing, but if I was starting from scratch, I would just use the Ford adapter. If the stickout and spline count is close enough to work without mods, then it seems like a good enough idea, but doesn't really offer any advantages at all.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm just guessing here, but it doesn't look like the pressure plate for that clutch will fit in the bell housing. I could be mistaken, but from the looks of things, that is a no go.

Aside from that, I'm pretty sure that the flywheel which fits that clutch, will not fit in the 1st gen bell housing adapter. Someone know for sure?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The only thing I haven't worked out is the pilot bearing/bushing. The original pressure plates for first gens are 13" x 1 1/4x 10 spline. The pressure plate fitment will not be an issue with the outside diameter. The issue so far is the torque springs in the hub of the disc. Az Clutch and Brake said the could build a disc that would fit. It would be a stock clutch from a getrag except the spline in the disc hub would be 1 3/8 in diameter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts