Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4bt with a turbo 400 auto trans. behind it.
I't in a 86 Grumman van converted by FritoLay
The problem is I have a broken flexplate and the local trans. shops AND the local Cummins shop can't seem to find one anywhere.

The flexplate has 146 teeth
Anyone got any ideas, or better yet part numbers.
the only part number on the flexplate is stamped on the ring gear and is a valid Cummins number, but it's for the ring gear itself. ??:confused:

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
I have 3916497 in my notes for the GM version and 3918957 for the FORD version which both had the same dimensions except for possibly the wave ring mounting hole locations. I'm sure the numbers have been either updated or obsoleted by now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that 3916497 is a standard GM part number that the dealer can work from?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
So that 3916497 is a standard GM part number that the dealer can work from?
I think that's going to be a Cummins part number...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get this... the part came; from the factory no less, everything good except that the ring gear was welded on for an application that has the starter on the trans. side, not the normal engine side. Since it even said on the packing slip that it was for a GM trans. I'm thinking the welder screwed up and nobody noticed that the gear chamfer was on the wrong side. So I'm waiting again!!

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
Make sure you are not trying to install it facing in the wrong direction. That has been done before and the starter won't engage. Some were marked engine side or transmission side. Compare it closely with the one you took off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I checked it all right, the gear relief is on the trans. side not the engine side like it should be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts