Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
It's not my tendency to post things online, but after seeing some of the build threads thought I'd share this. Tree work is tough in the WNC mountains and I need a track wood chipper, so I'm building one. Bought a complete bobcat 331 excavator, wood chipper (no motor) and 4bta (no chipper), and have been frankensteining them together since March. Just got the undercarriage ready and painted chipper frame, Cummins beige of course. Getting ready to build engine and mount chipper to undercarriage. Much to do especially hydraulics. There will be approx 80-100 hoses on this machine. Here are some pictures, stay tuned for more. 4bta CPL 594, 116 hp aftercooled VE pump
Daniel

Attachments

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
Interesting project. Figure the 4bt will be in the 750-800 lb range to help balance out the machine. You must be planning on grinding limbs in some very tough places.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,
Long day in the shop. Just finished sorting out the 4bta which had a clogged aftercooler, bad injectors and a host of other things. Thanks Char and Goat for all the help on this. Fingers crossed, it's ready to go.
Yes I plan on running the hydraulics off the timing gear case. Hope to use the old pump from the Bobcat 331 mini excavator, but I don't think it will fit between the A pump and engine mount.
In the photo below I'm kinda dry fitting everything together. Next step is to weld a seat and mount the steering linkages for the tracks. Then mount hydraulic valve body and manifold from 331. These are in foreground and have a lot of hoses.
Daniel

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts