Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can a chevy electronically controlled 4l60e work w/ the cummins? or is it easier to look for a possible truck that has a 700r, yes i know they are week but i am looking for an overdrive because mileage is my main goal.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If mileage is your goal, go with a 5-speed. If reliability is your goal, go with a 5-speed. If you want to sacrifice those two in the name of not having to think about shifting, then go with an auto...and you might as well go with a gas engine. Just my opinion, and many will disagree. I have a Dodge Cummins with an auto, and its the worse piece of junk I could ever imagine. The torque doesn't make it to the ground...it just revs up and makes noise. Its also the 3rd transmission for this truck in the past 100k miles, I don't know how many before that...the records don't show. Its at 260k now. $4k+ per trans and install for 30k or so of use is pretty expensive. My Dakota went through 2 auto transmissions before I bought it, and number 3 went out at 80k. I had 2 Grand Cherokees, 4 transmissions between the 2 of them. All of those were with gas engines, and not the low RPM abuse a diesel gives an auto.

Other than an auto being a poor choice behind a diesel, welcome to this site and congrats for thinking about a Cummins!

Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i was just thinking auto because i figured that they were just the easiest for a swap and the most common, but yes a cummins is the way! i have a 06 common rail cummins and my dad has a 96 12v;) best 2 engines ever put in a pickup.

·
Registered
915 Posts
With a good torque convertor and properly built transmission you will have no problem with reliability or getting the power to the groud. I have a 4L80 behind my 6BT and I like it alot. The torque converter is very tight and the engine will load great in every gear but first(due to 4.10 gears).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts