Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy telling me he can get me a 4BTE and thinks it would be a better way to go than the 4BT. Any reasons for sticking with the non electronic engine over the electronic one? Is the 4BT easier to set up for a swap than its electronic counterpart?

TIA

·
Registered
720 Posts
i personally like simple mechanical engines. the 4bt's are like my mercedes diesel engine- doesnt even need an alternator to run.

my $.02

·
Registered
225 Posts
If a terrorist sets off an electromagnetic pulse in your area, that electronic version will be useless. DUH!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What IP do they use? If it's anything like the VP44 pile of junk I'd avoid the electric version.
I really don't know. I'm just starting to investigate the 4BT and this guy is recommending the 4BTE over the 4BT. I'm just trying to get more info.

Thanks

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
Get a price on the computer, the high pressure fuel pump, and a few of the sensors. Compare that total price with the cost of a VE pump rebuild ($300 - 800 average) and a new lift pump ($45 - 150 average).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not to disuade you but probably not a "chip" available to boost the power for the E model. You would have to shell out big bucks for a custom program for the 4 banger unless your really good with writing programs.:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I didn't get to see the guy yesterday. I'll catch up with him over the weekend. He originally said they are pretty easy to program and he has the computer where he works. I guess I really need to set down and talk with him more. I'm leaning more towards a non-electronic engine as that seems to be what everyone is using and it would be much easier to swap.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Well, I didn't get to see the guy yesterday. I'll catch up with him over the weekend. He originally said they are pretty easy to program and he has the computer where he works. I guess I really need to set down and talk with him more. I'm leaning more towards a non-electronic engine as that seems to be what everyone is using and it would be much easier to swap.
any idea what kind of price he is asking? it'd be fun to play with :idea:

·
Registered
131 Posts
What did it come out of? Is it common rail? Even if you don't buy it, it would be neat to find out as much info as possible about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What did it come out of? Is it common rail? Even if you don't buy it, it would be neat to find out as much info as possible about it.
For some reason I'm thinking it came out of an older Chevy utility van??? I'll ask again. This guy is a mechanic for a Volvo & Chevy truck stealership. Also, I'm not up on all the parts and stuff on these engines. I have a lot to learn...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He says they are still in a bread type delivery truck. They have 4 of them and all run with 180K - 200K on them. He is going see if we can take a look at them and hear them run. He didn't know what the price would be but said he'd ask. He was thinking $1000.00 (+/-) would be what his boss would want for the motor and tranny.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts