Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 9mm early injectors down to OFI, The initial estimate was $60 each, then the update was that they were a high flow tip, tip alone was $60 and total bill will be under $400. I don't have a problem with that if that is the way to go. I asked about other injectors to replace those and the tech who was very helpful said that I need to stick with these or I can cause more problems. 7MM weren't available with the same characteristics. I had a desceptancy on my pump #'s I wrote down so I am going to verify this before going further just to make sure they are the right ones for that pump.. FWIW one was shot and the others were on their way out.
Secondly he said my pump would cost a little over $800 to rebuild vs. $650ish because of the aneroid... Does that seem right? My pump is obsolete too- no reman available so they'd rebuild it for a reman price. Any thoughts? Just buy the $26 seal kit? Governor spring and throttle plate while I'm in there?
I plan on staying stock for now, maybe an IC later.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Oregon Fuel Injection. I don't know for sure but something in that scenario doesn't sound right. I called them to find out about injectors and couldn't get good info, even with the Cummins injector number. Yes, they'd rebuild mine to spec, but that's all the info they had or would give, don't know which. Cummins said I have 7mm injectors, Oregon said 9mm. A rebuilt pump was going to be around $600, but then somehow got to around $900 + +.

Their injector and pump rebuild prices are listed on their main website by part number, might want to double check the info you got?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oregon Fuel Injection. I don't know for sure but something in that scenario doesn't sound right. I called them to find out about injectors and couldn't get good info, even with the Cummins injector number. Yes, they'd rebuild mine to spec, but that's all the info they had or would give, don't know which. Cummins said I have 7mm injectors, Oregon said 9mm. A rebuilt pump was going to be around $600, but then somehow got to around $900 + +.

Their injector and pump rebuild prices are listed on their main website by part number, might want to double check the info you got?
I don't have a serial # so I am kind of stuck. Cummins won't talk to me. I have gotten quotes on the phone from OFI here locallly then things got more expensive when I came in. It wouldn't surprise me if I have some obsolete stuff that somebody is gonna charge $$$ for it as it is just sitting on the shelf..
I kind of wonder what response I would have gotten from cummins if I just walked in with my injectors and asked them to replace/rebuild.
They (OFI) started twitching when I inquired about the seal kit and the tech told me about the "balls" and it required machining to replace those correctly... I think they know what they are doing and are in it to make money and anytime you bring something a little odd it takes more time and will cost more money.
The injection shop iron-curtain will not be lifted...

·
Registered
168 Posts
injector/pump

run the engine serial number and see what it was built with.....or run the pump numbers and see what it works with from an injector standpoint.....Cummins can get pretty much any Bosch injector, the key is getting to the parts guy that knows something, the lazy ones will tell you they have to have injector numbers, truth is they don't want to go the extra distance to figure out what you want or need... I'm speaking from experience....might be able to help if you'd like. Thanks,.Steve

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no serial #

yup, no # and I 've looked, even called the old bread truck mechanic... their comment was, "Oh, what's the # on the truck... Oooh, that's a really old truck."

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think those guys are taking you for a ride.No such thing as obsolete parts just yet.You can still get almost every part for the VE pumps and injectors.I had my injectors overhauled,they had 9mm tips and where replaced with
7mm higher flow nozzles all for about $40.00 each.As for the pump overhauled,calibration set to the latest BTA cpl which i think is around 145-150 hp,366 spring,new supply pump and even offered to re-tune it after i installed it if i didn't like how it responded, all for $500.00 which included parts.
Sergio.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think those guys are taking you for a ride.No such thing as obsolete parts just yet.You can still get almost every part for the VE pumps and injectors.I had my injectors overhauled,they had 9mm tips and where replaced with
7mm higher flow nozzles all for about $40.00 each.As for the pump overhauled,calibration set to the latest BTA cpl which i think is around 145-150 hp,366 spring,new supply pump and even offered to re-tune it after i installed it if i didn't like how it responded, all for $500.00 which included parts.
Sergio.
I guess having CNW and OFI as the only shops in town results in prices that aren't inexpensive.
Who did you use? Do you have part #'s?
I think they are want to make everything exactly the way it was so as to avoid any liability.. Don't blame them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Piers diesel, Bosch 190 injectors brand new, about $250 I think, case closed...
http://store.pdrdiesel.com/catalog/1989_93-126-1.html
I was wondering about that, I had read about those as well. At $400 for 6, the injectors are $66 + the adapter $8=74X4plus shipping is over $300, I called for verification but they were all busy. Just for fun I called Cummins and they said it would probably run around $1500 exchange just for the inj. pump bounce .
Thanks for the link Andre..

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I think I paid about $260 but no adapters.. Makes sense though.. These injectors work great IMO...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Say, 4bt Terra, how's about slipping the name & address or web link of the shop who did the work for you? Thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ yeah!

Out with the shop info...

I talked to Mike @ OFI, he said that this is a first generation pump, and If I want to get fancy I would need to change out some parts on the pump itself, I'd tell you what those parts were but I can't remember. He stated that the pumps were upgraded to last longer in the next version. If I run the 190's he said I would get a dual injection or something of that sort..
I talked to Josh at the website listed by DC and he stated 299 plus 32 for the injectors, plus shipping vs. $350 for OFI.. I'll go with those. He stated he'd never had problems with the 190's in a 4BT.
I asked about the pump and he said I could go for a repair which could be more than the $795 exchange price or less but no guarantee.
He also stated that the options that this particular pump came with were limited and it could be bumped up to 2550 or 2600 rpm as an option but that was about it.
One thing nice about it being set up the way it is, is the 4BT would only put out so much and thats probably why it isn't in a scrapyard.
Next time I'm buying a later 4BT with a CPL TAG and a SERIAL NUMBER!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts