Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a 4bt be aftercooled to make it a 4bta? what all would need to be done to the motor ? where do can you find an aftercooler? How much?:happyfinger:

·
Registered
168 Posts
aftercooler

I have a water/air cooler, pm if interested

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
Why not an intercooler....more efficient.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
Uses engine coolant to cool air charge into manifold.

·
Registered
454 Posts
what about air to air ? a little more plumbing and bother, but good none the less. i bought a chinese 450x300x65 cooler for AU$165 you may be able to get stepvan/dodge ones over there. i haven't fitted it to the car yet, so i don't know how good it is.

·
Registered
139 Posts
After cooler or intercooler or both

my .02 the point of the after cooler is to heat up the air more.. However, in doing so dont you remove O2 and make it less efficient? I just bought a step van 4bt and was thinking of doing installing the after cooler but I just can't seem to think why go this route instead of an Intercooler of even both? pros cons I am not sure I know for a fact though that all the reall high HP diesel engine Like cat E ratings etc have both 3412 TATI pumping 1500+hp at 2300 rpms. True these engine last as long as a chocolate candy infront of kids at halloween but they still get hp out of them... Can anyone clarrifiy best route/action to take...:confused:

·
Registered
454 Posts
well, technically if there is only one turbo, they are all aftercoolers. it seems to me air/air might be better. ambient air temp is cooler than engine coolant. their purpose is to cool the air to lower intake temps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts