Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I,ve Got A Cpl For The Marine 4 Bta Engine That Is 250 Hp From The Factory...... I,ll Post It Late Tonight. If Your Gonna Make Power Do It By The Book. You,ll Have To Run Air/air Cooler And Oversize Radiator Though. This Setup Will Make Heat Promiss....
Bob

finnally got a free time. the CPL IS 2197 FOR 250 HP
CPL IS 0741 FOR 155 HP

·
Super Moderator
8,784 Posts
I couldn't find a power/torque curve in there. But I suspect the curve will be quite different to what you want in a land based vehicle.

Low speed torque isn't much of an issue in marine engines, so they can use the biggest turbos that'll spool without much detriment.

·
Banned
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking At The Spec Sheets For The 155 Hp & 250 Hp Looks Like The Torque Curves Would Work Perfect If Enough Cooling Is Available In Automotive Use. And All These Engines Have Inline Fuel Pumps. I Dont Know If The Ve Pump Would Supply Enough Fuel. Probably Would For The 155 Hp. Rather Than Doing A Home Brew Tuneup Sticking With A Cpl Would Be Alot Better Imo
Bob

·
Registered
645 Posts
The 155 shows about 87 shaft HP at 1650 rpm which would equate to 277 lb-ft torque. The torque peaks at 281. The 250 has 140 HP at 1650 RPM and about 448 lb-ft torque at that RPM and a peak torque of 488 at 2200 RPM then falls off to 444 at 2800. I'd say either one would work great in a road vehicle assuming you can keep it cool enough. Don't know how fast they would spool though, I'd like to know what turbo's they are running. The 155 is running 13.7 psig boost at rated power and the 250 is running 28.5 psig at rated power.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The comp ratio stands out for me. 15.3:1 to reach 250hp. lower comp so they can cram in more boost/fuel. just pointing this out for the ppl wanting to build high hp motors. I would imagine it would be a lot harder on HG with 17.5:1 with these specs, would produce a little more power though.

Gaza

·
Banned
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
always when hp-torque goes up the piston compression ratio drops. this also makes it harder to start in cold temps. the blower is a hx-35 for both. timming changes also.....
bob

·
Banned
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also remember a boat doesnt run at max rpm,s for very long duration but it does work at all lower rpm,s especially mid to lower rpm,s .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts