Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
My hx 35 set up

I do not have pictures, But what I did is, cut the stock hx35 air horn down to 2 1/2 with a saws all this left the bolt on air horn about 2 inches long, then I made a new 2 1/2 pipe over to the air to water set up, I kept the stock flange were the pipe meets the intercooler I just put a oversize pipe on the flange and ported the flang out to the new pipe size. The new 2 1/2 pipe meets the air horn and matches its 2 1/2 dia< my pipe is fitted so that when the intercooler flange is tight, That the pipe and air horm are tight together, then all you have to do is put a piece of hose on and clamp it.

· Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a really old thread. Anyone that did this, routing in a different water cooler system for the JWAC, see mileage improvements as well?

· Registered
37 Posts
This would be a long term change change, with lots of use, not a go down the track a few passes mod. Im looking to improve my overall efficiency and potential power of my set up.

· Registered
2,623 Posts
Is this for your '71 F-250? In my '68 I went with a huge air to air unit from a '94 F-800 that is nearly as large as the original 4 core radiator,removed the radiator support mounted the I/C to core support and a cross flow radiator behind it with plenty of room between engine and radiator.
The big I/c really sucks the heat out of the charge air on long interstate grades when it's 25* I will see 195* coolant temps so that tells me it's working well........My point with all this is if you are gonna have to spend too much money and time to make your A/C do the job you might want to research the cost of an air to air unit as you have the room.
My two cents...;)

· Registered
37 Posts
Yes this is for my 71 F250.

My thought was since i already have a JWAC, why not just add a small radiator and plumb in its on system. Sounded a lot easier to me then plumbing a hole new system. Basically this sounded easier if it at actually works. If it doesn't work then id look to the intercooler. Your way sounds like it pretty easy to accomplish.

· Registered
2,623 Posts
Here are a couple of pics for you to think on, good luck on whatever route you chose

· Registered
319 Posts
Yes, I run a stock JWAC with it's own coolant system. I actually run a second water-to-air between my turbos too. I have a good sized radiator out front as well as a smaller one under my driver's door.

· Registered
48 Posts
Old thread , but I’m curious and would like a quick explanation how you guys by passed the aftercooler ? I would like to experiment and bypass the aftercooler to see what performance I get from it .

· Registered
13,454 Posts
You'd expect lower performance without any boost cooling. Might see higher EGT as well. Hot air makes poor power. On an aftercooler, I guess you could disconnect the water supply to it to test the difference.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts