Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a long time I have been gathering parts for my 4BTA and drivetrain conversion. Do you guys thing a Toy 8" diff will last with a 4BTA? I will be overlanding mostly, no rock crawling to speak of. I know my LR stock diffs wont last and I sold the Salisbury I had. Will the Toy diff last or do I need to hunt out a Salisbury? Worst comes to worst I have access to some rover 101FC axles.

KingSlug

·
Registered
696 Posts
For a long time I have been gathering parts for my 4BTA and drivetrain conversion. Do you guys thing a Toy 8" diff will last with a 4BTA? I will be overlanding mostly, no rock crawling to speak of. I know my LR stock diffs wont last and I sold the Salisbury I had. Will the Toy diff last or do I need to hunt out a Salisbury? Worst comes to worst I have access to some rover 101FC axles.

KingSlug
Where are you located? are the toy axles fitted? how hard would it be to get another Salisbury? what kinda rover, series or defender? 101's would be alota work to fit to a defender, granted they are strong. more details.

Gaza

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in California for a few years, was in Hawaii. The vehicle is a 2a 109 Ambulance. Its fairly a hard to find a Salisbury, just not many junked S3s out here or rovers for that matter. The 101FC GSs would be a package deal; I buy 3, part out 2, build 1 (maybe another cummins swap). But I really dont have space for 3 101s. The axles would be cool on the ambulance but a bit wide. I wouldnt mind a rear one as it would almost fit under the ambulance, but I would need the hub to be 5 bolt. The toy diffs and custom axles havent been put in the rover axle housings yet, but I am close too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the toyota diffs are pretty strong. if you get a v6 one it has 4 pinion gears instead of the 2 the 4cyl has.

sooo.....does it have 4 driveshafts also?:happyfinger:

What size tires and gvw? what ratio?

The toyota 8'' axle will hold up as long as you are not over a 35'' tire IMHO.
And over 5-6k lbs. turbo or v6 diff.

A later axle out of a tacoma or tundra would be stronger, but more$$$$

·
Registered
696 Posts
The 101's diff ratio is 5.6:1 if I remember right. S3's are 4.7:1 ,Defender's are 3.54:1. S3's and defenders are interchangeable not sure about the 101's. I do know that they (101 owners ) changed the ratios in the tcase to up the gearing a bit.101 axles with on a S3 ambulance that would be interesting. I would think with a 4bt the gearing would be better off at 3.54 even with an OD. I don't know squat about toy stuff so wont comment. What are your drivetrain plans?

Gaza

1 - 7 of 7 Posts