Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all , I am beginning a landcruiser repower using a 4bta mated to a Landcruiser transmission. The cummins engine I purchased has an auto trans on it now and will need a flywheel for the 5 speed. Will a chevy flywheel/bellhousing bolt to the 4bta or is there some adapter combo that need to be purchased?

·
Registered
275 Posts
If the auto trans that's on there now is a chevy trans then you probably already have the chevy adapter on the back of the motor. You would still need to find the correct flywheel. Unfortunately it's not the standard GM flywheel. If you don't have a chevy trans on there now then the adpater maybe for a ford set up or something else. It would be your decision if you stick with what you've got and get a tranny to match up or try to get the adapters to match up to your preferred tranny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the reply, the engine has a turbo 400 on it now so next is a hunt for a flywheel.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Chevy V8 adapter?

If you are going from a 4speed or a 5 speed to the 4BT you will need an adapter to match the configuration on the back of the adapter/motor. I hope you don't want a 3 speed. Advanced Adapters, Downey, Manafre and others sell adapters, the chevy is pretty common to find used. Check this stuff out before you start as its spendy! Someone on here might have a flywheel, Ebay might have them as well. Thanks, Kief.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flywheel PN

I,m not having much luck finding a flywheel. According to the nice cap at the local Cummins shop there is over forty different numbers to choose from! Can someone help narrow the part number search down some?

·
Registered
454 Posts
i recently started a thread about pilot bearings in the main forum. there is a link in there to bobs's flywheel thread that will answer your questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts