Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
runs nice...
starting, ideling and shut down are a little shakey...
i leave it in gear on the shut down it takes aot of the shake out...
but when you get moveing it is very smooth.
my spelling sucks by the way...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Power Steering/Hydroboost question

Do you have Power steering on your jeep? Did you use the stock hydroboost or go with an aftermarket like Vanco? I'm doing an 1983 Scrambler, motor is almost ready to go in. Fabbing my mounts when the weather warms a bit. I was wondering about your power steering connections since the 4BT (i'm assuming most step vans) didn't have powersteering, only hydroboost brakes running off the saginaw pump.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
mine had 2 return lines so i'm assuming it had power steering....
yeah i have power steering....
its out of the p30...
and it couldn't of fit better.i recommend useing the p30 setup...
there is not excess locking up it pretty well preportioned its not over sensative...
hope this helps...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey daryl
if you get the 4wheel drive hardware ss brake lines they fit right into the p30 master no adapters needed?
laterbounce

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not quite ready for the brake-lines yet - but thanks for the tip. I'm going to have to replace the proportioning valve due to front/rear discs so I might end up changing the lines going up to the master cylinder anyway. I did get the body up off the frame, next step is carwash, then build motor mounts & mount the engine/trans/t-case for a mock-up.

·
Registered
500 Posts
700R4 like your jeep. The local trans shop is building me a custom 6 lug converter that fits the mounting ring, with the large bolt pattern 800 stall speed RV converter. I'm running a NP205 behind that. Next step is to clean up the frame, and start fabbing the rear crossmember & front mounts. I've got frame mounts already for a 350V8 conversion - Novak conversion type I believe. Going to use the bottom section of those with their rubber bushings & the stock mounts modified a bit. It'll be simliar to your mounts, although your rubber pancakes look quite a bit bigger. I may do something differently. I'll just have to see how they hold up to the weight.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i had to lift mine because of the clearences with the oil pan and the front driveshaft is close to the tranny pan i am plannig to modify the tranny pan a little to get more clearence....
you might be able to raise the motor more than mine because it is a 4bt and not a 4bta there might be more room....
a body lift might also work...
later

·
Registered
500 Posts
Currently I have a 4.5" suspension lift & 1.5" on the shackles. I might even go with a 1 - 1.5" Body lift. Engine height shouldn't be an issue (I hope!) - more worried about the doghouse area (height) since I'm running an NP205 and dont want to butcher the floorboards. I'll have the motor mocked up soon so I can tell where it's going to sit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks very sharp.

Did you change out the govenor spring? I just changed mine and it made a nice change in the RPM range.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts