Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building this vehicle for a customer. It's getting a factory rebuilt 4BTA that we got off ebay for $5500. it's the 130Hp and 340#? torque. P7100 inline IP.
Rebuild NV4500 transmission from a 98 Dodge Cummins pickup.

I designed the trans to tcase adapter with some input from a few friends.
We are using the LR lt230 tranfercase with it's 1.21 high range and 3.32 low range.
Axles have the stock 3.54's
Rear was upgraded to a true trac and moser axle shafts from www.rovertracks.com
I appreciate the information I've found on this site and hope to pass some of it along.

On with some pics: We have the stock 3.9l aluminum V8, the 4BTA fresh from the crate. And the 4BT mocked in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Modified the bulkhead for clearance for the turbo/exhaust. I made the patch panel out of 20g stainless steel and riveted in place with SS rivets. Seam sealer and some epoxy spray paint to finish it off. It is now all covered in dynamatt extreme and topped with dynamatt hoodliner(foil over foam insulation.)

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this vehicle is also getting a SVO conversion. Here is the side mounted tank that will be used for VO. it is about 14gallons. stock tank for diesel/biodiesel is about 15g.
the bottom is angled to fit from the bottom of the frame rail to the bottom of the rock sliders. held in place by a 3/16 steel skid plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking very good! You better slow down so you don't finish before me. As usual your craftsman ship is top notch. Can't wait to see/hear it!

Cheers
Christian

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Very nice, I'd like to see pictures of the gearbox and transfer when you get them together.
I'm also interested to see what sort of lift you need to keep the axle and sump apart.

If you decide you want higher ratios then Ashcroft in the UK can sell you an LT230 with a 1.003:1 high range (low remains). I have that ratio in my 4BD1T powered rover and the increased gearing is fantastic.

·
Registered
696 Posts
trans to tcase adapter. Machined aluminum plate and resplined stock 2x4 output spline to match broached out lt230 input gear.
Hi Shane, somebody is going to be very happy with this when your finnished.
Which output shaft are you using 32 spline chevy or the 29 spline dodge?.
Also do you have anymore pics of the engine clearance from above?

Gaza

·
Registered
696 Posts
Looking very good! You better slow down so you don't finish before me. As usual your craftsman ship is top notch. Can't wait to see/hear it!

Cheers
Christian
Christian how are you getting on with yours? you must be nearly finnished now;)
How about a few more pics in your buildup thread?

Gaza

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Shane, somebody is going to be very happy with this when your finnished.
Which output shaft are you using 32 spline chevy or the 29 spline dodge?.
Also do you have anymore pics of the engine clearance from above?

Gaza
The Dodge output shaft was resplined to a GM 32 spline with an OD of 1.37"
I'm working on some updated pics..........

Thanks for the comments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am very interested in the D90 progress. A diesel D90 SW would be the ultimate vehicle for me. I just can't part with $40K for a TD5 or 200TDI.

For the past six months or so, I have been scheming a way to get a D90 diesel legally and cost-effectively, but haven't come up with a method yet. A tired, early D90 and a 4BT swap may be a solution. I'm in no rush since I have an existing 4BT swap at hand.

I am open to suggestions from those with wisdom.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well I finally finished the project. Here's a link to the build.
If you have questions hurry up and ask before I forget!http://www.roverhybrids.com/VA_4BT_D90.html
Nice work Shane, what size clutch MC did you finally go with? What reason did you go with the intercooler that has both inlet & outlet on same side? I expect the owner is very pleased with it, what feedback has he given you?

Gaza

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice work Shane, what size clutch MC did you finally go with? What reason did you go with the intercooler that has both inlet & outlet on same side? I expect the owner is very pleased with it, what feedback has he given you?

Gaza

I used the 7/8MC because that is what the Dodge slave that I have/had was. I did some calcs based on measuring the slave and from info from the clutch manufacture how much throw I needed. It works perfect.
You may have a 1" slave?

Intercooler is on one end so the radiator can be as wide as possible. There is no room to go over or under..........

·
Registered
1 Posts
Amazing build Shane. I bought James D90 (Chevy Vortec 5.7L with NV4500) and he sent me the link to your site and this buildup. Given gas prices and my current 12 to 14mpg, this is a mighty tempting swap. What sort of mpg's is this setup getting? Did you keep the stock ratio's in the axles and tranny? Anyway, well done!

Michael

1 - 19 of 19 Posts