Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must tell you.. this forum here has more cool information and makes a guy dream about sticking a 4bt on or in just about anything that moves.. hahaha.. I will do my worktrucks one day but that is a different story.

I am new to this forum and would really like to thank whoever started it as this is a wealth of info you guys provide.. Muchos gracias...

Ok to the task at hand. I have a 28' Albemarle sport fishing boat that has a couple of troublesome high hour gas guzzzzzzzzzzzzling 5.7 engines in it... I want with this forum to fulfill my dream to convert this to a pair of efficient cummins 4bta engines pulling about 200-250hp each and ultra reliable. I know reliablity is a reflection on the maintenance and I am very methodical of the upkeep of my engines so... want engine reliability.. no blown head gaskets.. no gernades.. just moderate HP running at about 2600-2800 rpm pulling me along at a nice 22kts or so... This engine will be aftercooled with plenty of cool dense compressed air will be injected into this..

My questions are these:
1) I dont see much marinising on this site of this motor.. that would be very cool because the more I read the more it makes sense... especially with gas prices at the dock at 4.50/gal.. costs me over 1K to fill up my tanks and have limited range. And this engine seems pretty bulletproof.
2) Information on maintenance, specifications and rebuilding this engine.. Where do I find it?
3) Better to buy rebuilt and marinise it or get running core and rebuild it myself? I have rebuilt many engines but no diesel.. how complex is the engine and how many special tools would I need?
4) can someone give me general specs on engine size (l/w/h) and dry weight on a 4bt?
5) is there something I am missing? this seems a perfect low cost (engine anyway) option for doing exactly what I need it to do..

Thanks again for your patience of a newbie on this site.. you guys rock.

And yes.. I am always looking for someone to go fishing with.. If you are local to me maybe help with this project there will be many :beer: and fish to be had..

Bdd

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've been very interested in this too. I found a place in Texas that does the 6BT marinization. They are
http://www.hsmarine.com/
They may be able to do the 4BT with the same parts. I called them once asking if their parts could be adapted to a VW tdi engine so I could drop it in a 20-23' fishing boat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the links Mcinfantry.. It doesnt talk about the 4bta250 tho.. wonder what their magic is to make these numbers?

What combo of parts will do what I need it to? Use stock turbo or go to a holset? Stock cam or go to larger one? What do I need to do and where do I get the spring kit for the governer to make it red line at 3200 vs 2800?

And lastly.. um.. what is VE? I have seen it posted everywhere but havent a clue as to what it is.

Oh and Driverswanted... thanks for your info, I will call HS marine and see what they have.. Do you know where I can get service books on these engines?

One last question ( I swear this time).. Does the 4bt have a 16 valve head available?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
and your other quesitons...

Piers Diesel will have the 3200rpm spring among other places

VE is the style of pump on most 4bt's in automotive applications, it's a Bosch pump. Marines often had different pumps. I have a cummins service manual that shows the different pumps and their common applications, it might be in the FAQ sticky or maybe just the yahoo group...

never heard of a 4bt 16valve head myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yet more questions...

Do you happen to know the difference between the marine and other pumps? I read somewhere it is regulated. Not sure exactly. Also which service manual do you have?

Holset or stock turbo or some hybrid?

Also, how hard is it to rebuild the engines on these things? I have wrenched all my life and built many gas engines but no diesel.. Loads of special tools or is it pretty straight forward?

Any differences in blocks or is a 4bt a 4bt is a 4bt? I know I need an SAE housing..

God.. so many questions.. I hope you guys dont get tired of them but I cant afford to do this more than once.

Oh.. and the ISB motor in a 6bt is a 24valve.. wonder if the 4isb is 16 valve... hmmmm????:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts