Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running any other std's other then the nv4500?? Using mechanical linkage rather then hydraulic?

·
Registered
329 Posts
There is another transmission other than the NV4500?

I think there are a ford ZF or two floating around ( for theOD trans crowd)

Some may have the stock 4 speed in their rig

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I think there is someone running an AX-15. It is a nice medium duty trans that does very well behind the AMC 4.0L engine. A stock 4BT is not much more torquier than a 4.0, so it should be fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
4 bt and standard trannys

The NV 3550 smaller version will bolt on to the 4 bt with no problem but will not be as durable as the nv 4500. Also the t-18 , t-19 .The np 435 if you don't want overdrive even the stock ford 3 speed not sure how long it would hold up to the torque of the 4bt. I would get the ZF 5 speed you get overdrive, low gear and durability the only drawback is the internal clutch slave cylinder, maybe there may be a mod to convert it to an external slave unit. IF you are using this as a daily driver for economy the nv 3550 for towing and off road the nv 4500 or the ZF 5 speed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm running the ZF trans that was originally behind a 460. It seems to be a pretty good tranny, same problem as the nv4500, gear split between 3rd and 4th is too wide. If I were offered the 4500 or the zf side by side for the same price I would probably go with the 4500. It seems to have a little more solid feel to it. However, the zf is cheaper. I only gave $250 for my trans and 1356 x-case. Hard to get nv4500 for that. I have every confidence that it will handle anything me and my 4bta can throw at it.:D Also this trans was originally external slave cyl. I cut all that off and used the ford manual clutch linkage. Some minor mods but it works well
Carl

1979 F-250 crew cab 4 x 4
4 bta with modified H1C
Cold air intake
ZF S-42 5 speed
Borg Warner 1356 x-case
Dana 60 rear
Dana 44 front
3.55 gears
255/85R16 tires (33.5x10.5)
Hydroboost steering and brakes
Custom 40 gal. fuel tank
Much more later

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are looking at swapping the 4BT into a gamma goat and it uses a sm420.

Changing the tranny isn't really an option so I need to find out what clutch, pressure plate, bellhousing, etc will work if the $BT is the direction we want to take.
Originally it had a 3cyl detroit diesel in it, but the owner would like to find a better option.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My plan is to keep my NP435 & Dana20 and put a "Ranger" torque splitter in front of the NP435. My 4BT came out of a Ford configured truck. This OD can be built to your spec's acting as a adapter for any combination of engine plate to tranny. i.e. chevy engine plate to ford or dodge tranny, dodge engine plate to ford or chevy tranny, etc. This allows you to use what you may already have (free), a way to mate two dissimilar components together, and still pick up O.D.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think there is someone running an AX-15. It is a nice medium duty trans that does very well behind the AMC 4.0L engine. A stock 4BT is not much more torquier than a 4.0, so it should be fine.
I am doing my install now. I am going to try the AX-15.

Pictures at http://web.mac.com/my96z28ss

·
'69 FJ55 Land Cruiser
1,660 Posts
I'm using a NV5600 this time. Huge, massive beast.. Here is a pic.. Because the Ford, Dodge, and Chevy patterns that can be easily put behind the 4BT, basically anything that bolts to those patterns will work!

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Dang!

I'm using a NV5600 this time. Huge, massive beast.. Here is a pic.. Because the Ford, Dodge, and Chevy patterns that can be easily put behind the 4BT, basically anything that bolts to those patterns will work!
WOW, I knew that was what you were using on yours but had no idea it was so monstrous-makes the 4bt look like a 22r.

·
'69 FJ55 Land Cruiser
1,660 Posts
It is a sweet trans but if I could do it again I would have been patient and done a new G56 trans (06 and later Dodge)... I am still considering swapping it out for a G56... It is aluminum, the low is lower but the high is still a hair lower.. This is unfortunate because I actually need all the speed I can get because I'm stuck with fairly low 4.10 gears..

·
Registered
98 Posts
For the guys with ZF's, about what did you pay? And how bad is the the 3 to 4 shift as far as spacing and how fast are you going leaving 3rd? I want to upgrade from my BW 3 speed with OD to someting a little more bullet proof, and my 2-3 shift I drop out of boost/power at about 35 mph which sucks...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I generally have about 800 rpm drop from 3rd -4th. Doesnt bother me as much since upgrading my turbo, before it was a bit of a pain waiting for the turbo to spool back up. This was more of a stock turbo problem, they wont boost much unless you're on the throttle pretty hard. If your towing or in a hurry take it to 2500+rpm in 3rd, youll be good to go in 4th.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts