Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried the search and read through some of the info here and I'm comin up emtpy on on this one, but theres a lot of info here to look through. I wanna put a 4bt motor into a farm tractor. I'm lookin for suggestions, ideas, past projects that might be listed here. Basically just any info I can get my hands on to see if this is a do-able project or not. Thanks

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
Welcome to 4BT Swaps. There has not been any tractor specific discussions on here to date. You may want to check into the following forums that are centered on tractor discussions:
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/boards.cgi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob. I have spent quit a bit a time on that site through the years. I'll give it a shot and see what they can tell me. I'll keep checkin in here in case somebody jumps in with somethin though.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Do you already have the tractor? The 4BT is standard issue in several tractors, Kubota and Case I think, plus others. Ag equipment shop doubtless has a line on parts, like a dismantler. Many tractors can be an easier swap if you can hook up to the hydraulic drive pump, rest is hoses! Might start by poking around some Kubota or Case or other tractors for ideas. 4BT's are easy to identify.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What era and make of tractor are you considering.

I have seen some "Farm Show" articles on a 6bt swap into an older international tractor. I believe it was a 560. If memory serves I think that there was a company who made an adapter for such a swap. I would like to do a swap into an older case tractor but it dosent look easy, especially if you want to keep the live PTO. I have a cummins 4b with gear driven hydraulic pump that I am saving for this purpose.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I found the "Farm Show Magazine" article on the repower of 700 and 800 series International gas tractors to 6B-5.9 Cummins. Roger Link of Link Implement, Ridgeland Wisconsin makes the adapter plate ph. 715-949-1795.
This was a 1993 article.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A B Cummins into a 50 or 55 series Oliver is fairly straightforward as some of these tractors used an SAE clutch housing from the factory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for al the replies. A Buddy bought a Belarus Russian made tractor a few years ago, it was a 40hp gas model. With less then 30 hours on it the motor blew. Long story short it ended in the obvious way, nobody would fix it under warranty and he wasn't spendin money to replace the engine in a brand new tractor. All this tractor was for was for movin hay around. So now the tractor has sat for a few years and he's finally not mad enough about it that he's lookin at puttin it back together. I'm a 6bt fanatic and and on staff at a few Diesel sites so I'm tryin to talk him into droppin one of these smaller cummins engines into this tractor and fix it right this time.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hmmmm......I have kicking around the idea of swapping a 4B or 4BT into an International 400 gas.

Gotta be easy on the throttle, though.....a lot of tractors can't handle the extra torque. A 6BT into a International 560 is lunacy, those tractors have rear-ends made of toothpicks and glass. Sneeze at it and the rear end goes out.

560 rear is basicly the same rear end as a M or 400, and I doubt they would handle the full torque of a 4BT MUCH LESS a 6BT!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts