Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4d31 mitsubishi fuso engine. I can't find any adapter to mount a ford or chevy 4 or 5 spd to it. I guess the next newer engine is a 4d34, which I think may possibly be based off the 4d31? not 100% on that? I hear the 4d34 has a sae #3 flywheel housing. My 4d31 doesn't have a sae housing. I wonder if the 4d34 housing would fit my 4d31? My engine is a 1990 model year. If anyone even has a 4d34 housing sitting in their shop, could you send me a pic of the engine side of it?
If I can get to a sae housing I can easily get adapters to many transmissions, but with my current housing, I am sort of stuck.
Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.
I just need to mount a 4 or 5spd manual trans behind my engine, don't even care the brand at this point. Even a stock fuso trans could work if I could find what I need to do it for a reasonable price.
I have a good working Jatco 4spd automatic for sale if anyone needs it.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Adapter Plate

I need to pull the Chrysler 727 off of my 4d31 so I can rebuild it. I won't get it pulled for a few more weeks. I can see if the transmission used the Chrysler or AMC housing. I have a small machine shop and I may be able to get talked into making you an adapter plate.

Later
Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of taking my flywheel housing to a local machine shop to see if they can re-dowel it and drill and tap it for a bell housing. It is just flat, so my thinking is, if the steel has stock on the right places, maybe just drilling new holes for bell bolts and dowels may work?
I really appreciate the offer to help, or get conned into helping! I may still call on that yet? I guess I need to get my hands on a mitsu flywheel and get a bell housing to see if there is room to do such a thing. Or maybe I just need a new flywheel housing machined with the pattern I need for a bell.
I have given a lot of thought on transmission choice. I'd prefer a standard. I figure if I am going through all this trouble, may as well make it the way I want it. The 727 would probably be a good fit, but thinking I'd like to try sticking with a manual shift. Maybe by the time you are ready, I will be at a decision!
Thanks dozerdan!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I guess I should have been a little clean on my last post. If you have an adapter made to fit your engine you should be able to use a bell housing from an AMC or Chrysler and run the manual gear box.

Later
Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a google search on the mopar bell housing, as I haven't seen one. Looks like 2 choices. 1 fits a 318, and 1 fits earlier hemi. The bigger one claims to fit some commercial applications. The 318 bell may even work. I big advantage is they both have starter on driver side, where my mitsubishi engine has starter. I'm going to try finding one of these, either I guess, to see if I can at least borrow one long enough to measure it up with my engine.
I will let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May have found a manual trans and parts I need. Had a craigslist ad, and a guy emailed me claiming to have what I need. Waiting for his reply now. Hoping its not a phony email. Seems real but if i get no answer I will know! CL is full of B.S. sometimes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a real deal. The guy got back to me. He is going to get info off the truck and engine this weekend. Sounds like its a stock mitsubishi fuso manual transmission. His engine is toast. But trans is good. So I should be able to get the parts I need. Can't wait!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts