Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this sweet running little 3.3L turbo diesel, a 4d31. Runs about 130HP stock. Intercooled.
Very simple engine, has glow plugs, but otherwise mechanical , no computers! My problem is, it has a Jatco automatic attached that needs a TCM. As I am thinking about dropping this into my 63 Willys pickup project, I want no trans control module. I want to run a manual trans, prefer a 5spd but a 4spd is also good.
Here is where I am running into trouble.I can't seem to come up with a flywheel housing or trans adapter to use a tranny like the old faithful T-18 4spd, or even the newer T-5? Or anything else for that matter???
Anybody here ever done one of these conversions using a Mitsubishi 3.3 4d31? Seems like it would be a great engine for a little pickup. As I am going with a 2wd setup, I can use any tranny, I am not using Willys stuff for this. The original 3spd Willys tranny won't cut it for the highway running!
If anyone has any links or contacts please let me know. If I can't come up with something I guess I will just sell the Mitsu eng/trans combo and move on?? Hate to though!
Thank you all!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Should also mention, I would have no problem going with an automatic if I can use something like a GM 700R with overdrive, and without the need for a control module, just tryin to keep ole Willy simple as I can

·
Registered
285 Posts
Diesel swaps are kind of like the thing an old friend used to say, "There's a lot to it." Start by making sure that you plan for an overdrive transmission of some sort (after making careful calculations to make the gears and tire size achieve cruise at 1800-2000 rpm). If you don't spend some time and figure this part out, you might have a 45 mph top speed (or worse). Then, figure out the "packaging". This is otherwise known as, "will it fit?" Height is oftentimes the killer when doing gas to diesel swaps. The space issue is compounded by the differential in solid axle 4x4's. There are lots of other things to consider, like legality, too. Now then, with those things out of the way...
If the input face of the Jatco looks like the ones from npr isuzus, you may be able use Longbow Don's method to make your own adapter from the fuso flywheel housing to another tranny. I am doing this for a 91 fj80 landcruiser repower with 4bd1t isuzu. As far as I know, using this method for a mitsu is uncharted territory. Don's design uses adapters for the Isuzu Jatco flywheel and bellhousing to connect them to the landcruiser torque converter and a440 tranny (a tough auto with od and lockup tc). The stock setup in a 91-92 fj80 is all hyd with no electronic controls. So.... why not drop the willys cab onto a fj80 frame and running gear? The early fj80's are cheap these days because they don't have as much power as the later (24v) 80's. I feel that one can cure this with a well planned diesel swap. Do some searching on here to see what others have done. Focus particularly on putting mitsu motors into 80 series landcruisers. IIRC, there is a guy on here (maybe on ih8mud) that made a hybrid aisin transmission from a donor fuso truck and a 95-97 fjz80. That one was electronic (engine and tranny), but there may a way to hybridize a fuso tranny with an a440 and keep it all hyd.
My 2 cents...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like my flywheel housing might be a SAE#5. If thats true, there are a few places making adapter kits. I will look into those! Tripped on them by doing google search today.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
By all means keep this thread updated. The Mitsu 4d34 engines are considerably less sought after than the 4BT and 4BD1s. It would be great if you stumble upon another Japanese 3-4L diesel that can be easily adapted to an available manual American OD tranny. Goodluck!:idea:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am waiting for Phoenix Casting to get back to me. They make adapters for a lot of things. Looks like the go from SAE sizes to GM and Ford. Hoping they can help me out. Looks like a kit consists of a ring for the housing where the bell mounts and a step shaft for the crank/flywheel mount to be extended out a bit. Seems simple enough. If they don't have a kit, they might be able to make one? I hope to have the answers today. I need to measure my flywheel housing 1 more time to be 100% sure I have a SAE#5, but it seems that is what I have. I see a lot of Cummins and other smaller engines run SAE#4 which is a little bigger

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After taking the time to pull the tranny off my engine, it seems it is not an SAE mount. The flywheel protrudes similar to a gas engine. I think this is about to get more complicated. Trying to locate a manual flywheel and bell housing(w or w/o a trans)
Mitsubishi mated these engines to 4 and 5 speed manuals as well as the auto I have. My big issue here is age of it and limited to no salvage yards close to me. Next issue, if I find a manual trans to fit my engine, as these trucks were all cab overs the trans will have a forward shift set up, not just a top load shifter. That may be a challenge as well. Depending the trans there may be NO top load shift available. I now see why people go with Cummins and Mercedes diesels! lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
I own a 1987 Mitsubishi FE with the 4D31 engine with the 3 speed auto trans. They use the Chrysler 727 tans on the older ones. I don't know how many years the 727 was used but I have an owners manual for a 1989 and it lists the same transmission. In the manual it states the transmission is Mitsubishi M2A3 ( A727 Made By Chrysler ).
I would like to have one of those engines in a Dakota 4x4.
I have a Jeep XJ with the Mercedes OM617.

Later
Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think the 727 would be a good tranny to use. Seems I am pretty limited here to find anything to adapt my engine to anything else. I have contacted truck salvage yards to no avail. And find limited info online. Thanks for the info on the trans, I will try searching for parts from a different angle now. I'd really love to drop the diesel into my Willys truck so I could have a really good MPG toy! Plus I love the sound of a turbo diesel! If I get anywhere I will post here. Maybe sooner or later I will trip across a solid lead and if I do I will spread the word if anyone else is battling this issue!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I would think the 727 would be a good tranny to use...
Just a gentle warning from an old International Harvester guy. The 727 transmission was cast in several different bellhousing patterns. Off the top of my head (Please verify the actual facts independently):
1. Small MOPAR V-8 (360 CID and down)
2. Large MOPAR V-8 (400 CID and up)
3. MOPAR Cummings application (I "THINK" the transmission might have a different number)
4. AMC V-8
5. IH V-8 (266, 304, 345, 392) - We have one of these in our 1975 IH Scout II
6. MOPAR supplied Nissan 6 cylinder engine in IH Scout II - I "THINK" the transmission used the large MOPAR V-8 pattern. You might be able to confirm this in BinderPlanet .com

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would think the 727 would be a good tranny to use. Seems I am pretty limited here to find anything to adapt my engine to anything else. I have contacted truck salvage yards to no avail. And find limited info online. Thanks for the info on the trans, I will try searching for parts from a different angle now. I'd really love to drop the diesel into my Willys truck so I could have a really good MPG toy! Plus I love the sound of a turbo diesel! If I get anywhere I will post here. Maybe sooner or later I will trip across a solid lead and if I do I will spread the word if anyone else is battling this issue!
The guys in Australia seem to have a lot of knowledge about the Fe or Canter. Do a search for Fe or Canter forum and you will find them. I would post and ask about the bolt pattern and adapter plate. I do know that the trans in my Fuso has the dipstick on the drivers side, opposite side of a normal 727.

Later
Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will see if I can get into an Australian site, maybe I can buy an adapter that way? I have a T-18 Ford 4spd to use but at this point anything goes. I want to use the engine, but have had no luck with adapters. My other option is to see if a newer mitsubishi 4d34 flywheel housing would fit my 4d31? I think the block might be the same as the 34 came from the 31? The newer engine might have a SAE housing which is easier to adapt to. I will keep digging!!! thanks for your input!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far no luck! I will keep looking but time is getting short. Starting my project in the next few weeks and probably will be ready for engine decision by May.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't come up with a solution yet. Looks like the best option is to buy the tranny controller and wire it up. I have the Jatco trans that was bolted to the engine. It was working good so I don't doubt that is is good, I just wanted to run a manual trans in my project truck. I think I will end up selling my engine/trans combo and let someone else use that. I want the engine for a 1963 Willys truck. I was going for a no computer type rig. Running a TCM isn't fitting for that truck. Too bad for me but someone will get a good deal. I don't have any more time to be searching for the manual trans adapter stuff. About time to start my project, and looks like I will be going gas. For now,lol!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have still had no luck in finding any more info. I think the 4d34 engine was based off the 4d31, but I can't find any info to see if the 4d34 flywheel housing would fit my 4d31? If I can get to a sae housing I will be all set. I can find all kinds of parts for my engine, but get down to the flywheel, or the bell housing or anything there, nothing! I found some used trannys that are Mitsubishi made for the engine, but they use a forward shift linkage as the fuso trucks are cab overs. Couldn't find info about a top load shift housing for those. Seems like I will have a pretty sweet setup if I can get it together, the engine seems to be a reliable one, just old enough that it seems forgotten. Too bad because you can now buy these trucks dirt cheap if you find one. The bodies and frame rot and you still have this nice little engine. It won't pull the 400+ HP a Cummins can but it will make a sweet 1/2 ton truck engine, or even a jeep engine. Plenty of torque, quiet engine, should sip fuel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just a gentle warning from an old International Harvester guy. The 727 transmission was cast in several different bellhousing patterns. Off the top of my head (Please verify the actual facts independently):
1. Small MOPAR V-8 (360 CID and down)
2. Large MOPAR V-8 (400 CID and up)
3. MOPAR Cummings application (I "THINK" the transmission might have a different number)
4. AMC V-8
5. IH V-8 (266, 304, 345, 392) - We have one of these in our 1975 IH Scout II
6. MOPAR supplied Nissan 6 cylinder engine in IH Scout II - I "THINK" the transmission used the large MOPAR V-8 pattern. You might be able to confirm this in BinderPlanet .com
I am very familiar with the 727 I worked on amc and jeep for 17 years and I have rebuilt many of them.
I pulled my 727 from my Fuso for a rebuild. It destroyed the rear over running clutch and also the case. The case is the same as the big block Chrysler or Chrysler calls them the B and the RB block. The B block includes the 350/361/383/400, the RB includes the 413/426/440.

Later
Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forum...I bought a diesel conversion in progress and am trying to answer questions about it so it will be done right when it's complete..I have a 99 durango with, if I recall correctly, the 4d31 turbo diesel in it. I have it running and driving but it is painfully slow taking off. Top speed (GPS) was 79 mphon the highway. I bought it off a dealer, was traded in. They really knew nothing about it. The info I am seeing here is, the trans more then likely is NOT the 44RE due to bolt pattern? Is the gas torque convert going to work or do I need one from the diesel truck it came from? It still has the vacuum pump/alternator on it and it doesn't charge. Wish the guy that started this had not cut most of wiring harness out from under the hood..any thoughts on that mess? Thank you...will get some pics up soon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts