Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody.
Going through a few threads regarding the 4he1, can’t fine much information on any performance outcomes. I built up a compound 2.8L 4JB1T setup for my rodeo diesel drag Ute, but I am pretty close to maxed out with that setup at around 220hp and 500nm. Now currently squeezing a 4HE1-TC into my other Rodeo and going to build a similar compound setup on this engine. Anybody done any work with the 4he1 what sort of performance have people seen from them?

Pic of my 4JB1T setup.

Cheers Paul

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know the weight difference between the 2?
around 120kgs, but probably less by the time I strip it down to bare essentials. Sounds like a lot but front suspension still sits well, better than my 4jb1 rodeo. Its not any worse than people putting steel winch bars right out on the front of them. The CG on these engines is well towards the back because of the rear mounted timing gears so that helps. I’ll be putting some heavy duty torsion bars on it to make up for the extra weight as well

·
Super Moderator
8,682 Posts
There are many variation of the 4HE1. Which injection system have you got (mech or electronic inline) and what was the original power/torque figures?

How did you get on with the rear facing starter? It's a massive problem for most people trying to swap them. Good job fitting it in there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are many variation of the 4HE1. Which injection system have you got (mech or electronic inline) and what was the original power/torque figures?

How did you get on with the rear facing starter? It's a massive problem for most people trying to swap them. Good job fitting it in there.
it is a mechanical S4MD11 inline pump, engine is 2004 intercooled variant. I don’t know exactly what truck it came out of, but is mated to the MXA so probably derated a little for the manual box. Was easiest just to modify the passenger footwell to fit starter. Would not be a huge task to clock the starter flange around to a lower position. Was even thinking of using the pto drive on the box for a starter. Didn’t have any figures from this exact spec engine. I’m going to get it up and running on the stock setup then dyno and go from there. I’ll be getting the pump recalibrated for maximum fuel delivery and upgrade injectors after that

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice job "P"
I have one of these in a boat here in Japan, will find a pic and post. I am still having fuelling problems in the lower rpm's hard to get on the plane but when there motor sings well at 3,000 rpms on the governor no smoke. Feels like it is fuelling down just as it gets on the plane. In any case I will be watching your post and hope to pick up on some of your performance mods. By the way a lot of these engines came out in 3 or 4 ton flat bed and delivery trucks here in Japan.
Bryon.
P1000641.JPG

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice job "P"
I have one of these in a boat here in Japan, will find a pic and post. I am still having fuelling problems in the lower rpm's hard to get on the plane but when there motor sings well at 3,000 rpms on the governor no smoke. Feels like it is fuelling down just as it gets on the plane. In any case I will be watching your post and hope to pick up on some of your performance mods. By the way a lot of these engines came out in 3 or 4 ton flat bed and delivery trucks here in Japan.
Bryon. View attachment 126519
I probably have chosen the wrong engine to do a performance build on from a difficulty point of view. Nobody else seems to have done much with them but it is worth a go I guess. The pump should have pretty good headway for more fuel but not a great one for modifying/upgrading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts