Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a company in dearborn Mi that will build a 4l60e torque converter with 6 bolt pattern for $450 does that seem reasonable if not anyone know where to get a converter with 6 bolt pattern the other issue is they want me to send them my flywheel and wavering any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone have any thoughts on having a torque converter made or should i swap a 4l80e instead the vehicle is a 93 yukon this is the last piece to figure out i have everything else?

·
Registered
860 Posts
i have a friend with a torque converter shop his web site is chrisman torque converters---larry gets really excited about building new setups--seems like it wouldnt be too hard to weld on 6 tabs--a recent project of his was to build a reasonable priced mopar race torqueconverter---this occured because he cut open a $900 unit that he had bought for his Dart and he found that the insides were machined down pieces of a nissan converter----larry then went to the most common item in his shop--GM--and examined the internals of the FWD components--from that he engineered the unit he sells--- when larry built my first cummins torqueconverter the internals in it was mostly turbo 400 stuff--larry said with the amount of aftermarket stuff out there for the turbo 400 that the sky was the limit on what we wanted out of the converter--that may have been the impetus of using the fwd components---but anyway give him a call nothing he likes better than brainstorming with car guys---bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help i appreciate any help I can get this converter or wavering adapter issue is all that's left to figure out after this is figured out I can bolt the 4bt in my yukon the guy I bought my engine from just kinda threw his engine in a 98 chevy extended cab 4x4 he slotted the wavering with a grinder I don't want mine to fall apart or have to take it back apart later because it was hob-cobbled together in the first place anyway thanks for the info!

·
Registered
16 Posts
IIRC, the TC for the 4L60E should be the same bolt pattern as the 700R4. Don't quote me though. But if that is the case then an adapter plate can be easily gotten by a few vendors. I had Bud Built in NC make me one to fit my 700R4 torque convertor for the wave ring for a TH400. About $45 plus shipping.

Thread covering pros and cons to adapting the wave ring, and my pics of the adapter plate Bud Built made:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?2036-4BT-to-700r4-done-no-adapter-needed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts