Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be doing a 92 GMC swap soon, from the 350 gas to my beloved cummins, and was wandering about my t/c. I will be getting the ATC from destroked, which allows you to change shift points and lock up the converter. So will I have to get a t/c for a diesel or will this one work for my application? Also I was wondering if 330 H/P is too much for the tranny, it was just rebuilt last year? Thanks in advance. Paul.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
You'll need a diesel T/C. I'd recommend having a custom one built for that kind of power and getting rid of the wave ring. The Chevy converters are not meant for much abuse. If it's put together right it should last awhile. If it's built with relined crap you'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Not much detail here, but....

The older trannys are not as good as the newer. I am not a tranny expert, but I know there were updates made in the later cases for durability. I am using a 6.5T converter in front of my 6BT with no problems in 10K miles and almost a year. I run it pretty hard and it has not missed a beat. It does have all the transgo goodies so it is better than a stocker. I am also runnig the wave ring with no issues. I think the problem with the wave ring is due to poor installation on 3 tab converters....but just a hunch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found

I found a good used one for 150 bucks , off a 6.5. The guy is a reputable person, and well know in neck of the woods. New Liskeard Ontario Canada, in case any one wanted to know lol. I can tell you guy's one thing for sure there aren't many people doing these conversions up here if any, so I will be the first. It should turn a few heads I think. Anyway once I get started I will take lots of pict's so everyone can see. Thanks again, for the info on the T/C that would have been a bummer to get it all together and to find that was a f!!! up.:beer:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Can't say for sure how much but you get less mileage with automatics and your going to lose considerable horsepower at the rear wheels with an automatic compared to a manual transmission. 20% +/- horsepower to the wheels.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
milage...

the 4l-80 has a lock up converter.once it's locked,the power loss verses a manual is much less...there is a difference however,and it usually runs about 5% loss verses a manual.on a non lockup converter,it does approach that 20%,or more,depending on the amount of slip you have.converter diameter plays a part as well.

the reason we don't do as many 4b swaps up here is the simple reason that the 4b series is next to impossible to find up north in a road version.tractors and mobile equipment ,yes,but hi-way versions are very rare.

·
Registered
10 Posts
some moron has 2 with turbo 400's, unknown mileage etc. for $6000.00 ( yes i said six thousand dollars) he is in vermillion, ab. if anyone is interested. i told him he was lost when he said the price.

·
Registered
915 Posts
the 4l-80 has a lock up converter.once it's locked,the power loss verses a manual is much less...there is a difference however,and it usually runs about 5% loss verses a manual.on a non lockup converter,it does approach that 20%,or more,depending on the amount of slip you have.converter diameter plays a part as well.

the reason we don't do as many 4b swaps up here is the simple reason that the 4b series is next to impossible to find up north in a road version.tractors and mobile equipment ,yes,but hi-way versions are very rare.

I can see this....when I lock my converter it gives a real kick in the @$$ from a power standpoint. I drive locked alot of the time and when I unlock it, it feels mushy and unresponsive.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
mushy?

feels mushy and unresponsive does it?...you can see in my sig what i'm currently running in front of a 4l-80.a normally aspirated 6.2 is the definition of unresponsive.:puke:

can't hardly wait till i get my garage fixed up...that 4b is going in asap.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
as for price...

6 g's for 2 4bt's with a trans is pretty good north of the border...keep in mind that a lot of 4b's you do see up here are imported...usually they are low milage cummins re-mans.if those prices were for a complete p-pump version,especially aftercooled,in good condition, it was a good buy.

don't knock the price until you get details on the configuration.and especially since market dictates price...with extremely low supply and high demand,it's "pay to play".

·
Registered
10 Posts
actually its 6g EACH!!, i dont care unless it is a crated P-pumped engine its not worth 6g, as you can import one from the US for much less than that.

·
Registered
915 Posts
How far back should I move the tranny , to give me clearance for the fan?
Far enough.....

You are just going to have to test fit it all together. In my truck I wish I had moved the tranny about 2" back, but yours will be different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts