Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use a 2005 ford 4r70W 4spd trans behind a 4bt? I already know I can control it with a pcs controller so thats not a problem I am wondering about it bolting up.

Thanks

Randy

·
Registered
713 Posts
Depends on the bellhousing pattern actually...

If it came out of an explorer/mountaineer with a 5.0 then you could use the oem ford block adapter with chevy flywheel and modified wavering and crank adapter.

That's what I plan to do. I'm not sure if the stock computer will work though. It takes info from the engine via tps and crank sensor. Also, a stock computer will spin the engine to a gasser's redline when the tps is at WOT. This redline could never be hit with the 4bt so you'd never shift unless you backed off the throttle. This is why I plan on using a Baumann TCS.

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure about the bolt pattern but if it will work I will use a pcs controller for the electronics since the factory ford computer would be a nightmare.

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh really.hmm thats interesting. I will be getting the crown vic the first of next week and will check the bolt pattern against a ford 5spd bellhousing I have. I would assume that a 2000 would have the same bolt pattern as a 2005 though. if thats the case I may give it a try.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You will want the 5.0L/4.2L or even the 3.8L if you add two more plates for about $20. Avoid the 4.6L (modular).

You can tell what you have by the number of bolts that mount the starter.
2 bolts is good, 3 is bad.

Not affiliated:
http://www.baumannengineering.com/usedtrns.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't completely understand this information that is being given in this thread. AFAIK, the 4R70W that is in my 1996 F-150 w/ 4BT is the Ford SB bolt-pattern and that should bolt up to the Cummins Ford SB adapter.

I know that the T-19 that were used in the Ford bread vans were manual transmissions but there was a rare Ford SB pattern automatic that was used in some kind of aircraft tug. Presumably, those part numbers are out there and diligent research should find them.

Todd

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it does have 3 bolts for the starter. The only way to really know is to compare it to a small block ford bell housing I have laying around at the house. We know that a 5.0/302 bolt pattern will work. I will let you guys know what I find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts