Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i got a 4th gen camaro that i want to swap to a 4bt. now i have a few questions i have not seen a thread on a 4th gen camaro yet always older camaros. i just want your guys input as to what i should do i have a few things i need to address before i start this project. here is a list of them. me and my father own our own shop and i have all the resources i need to do it myself fabricating and everything like that. we finished a total restoration of a 1956 chevy pickup about 5 years back and now i want to do something nobody has around here again like a cummins powered camaro. I want to have the two most eye catching vehicles around my parts.

1. what tranny should i mate to the 4bt to get the best fit/weight for the camaro. i want to go with a manual if i could and possibly the most mechanical tranny i could so i have less electrical to have to worry about. mainly worried about weight and fitment.

2. what would be the best way to beef up the front end on the car to hold the motor?

3. what kind of motor mounts/tranny mounts will i have to use/fabricate to hold the motor up will i have to make or alter the current cross memebers and such?

4. and i know i would have to get a very deep cowled hood for it to fit it all any suggestions?

i want to try to go all machanical on this build so i dont have to worry so much about all the electrical work. would it be best to go and buy a 4bt and also buy a wrecked or parts 12v for the rest of the parts needed? also how about putting a electric fan in it to kind of save on some room compared to the clutch fan. also thinking of doing either a hood stack or side pipes out the fender. any help is welcomed especial if you all know or have done some car swaps or just suggestions from smaller trucks or vehicles thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
If it was me I'd go with the nv5600 (6 speed), they are expensive and hard to find but with high gears (3.00 ford 9") in the axle it would be kinda like a factory Camaro 6 speed. It would be a lot of fun to drive.

Also if it was me, I'd do a dry sump oil pan and an oil reservoir . It will help with height and from hitting the pan on road trash.

There is is a guy on here that put one in a Nissan sports car, can't remember his name (Nissansomething).

Good luck and looking forward to watching this build.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Tremec T56 or TR6060 out of a Viper with the Dodge adapter plate may work. IIRC, one of the dowel pins (think there is a bolt inside it) doesn't line up but the rest of the bolts do, so a small amount of fabricating is in order. Any of the stock oil pan options only slightly hang below the flywheel housing - so stock or slight trim may work.

Or you could find the Chevy or Ford adapter and use any one of the Camaro or Mustang transmissions.

I'm not saying that any of the transmissions mentioned will hold up to the 4BT, but I know they can bolt together with the proper adapter parts.

As far as the rest of the questions, I'm not sure yet - but I am interested to see how it goes and how the motor fits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already went and picked up the car. Going to go pick up a 4bt soon tear it down clean it up put injectors pistons head studs in it. Then I'm going to get a tranny and then start fabricating it up. And ya I was leaning toward a nv45 or 5600 the 6speed would be nice. The build is definitly going to get done that's for sure. I don't start a project and then don't finish it I like a little challenge.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Re: Here we go again...
I know this type of conversion has been discussed on here in in depth before, so I am not trying to start any arguments....

I would not use a truck manual transmission in a car, the gearing is meant to get heavy loads moving not to get light loads moving quickly.

Welcome to the forum ktm124, please do a lot of searching as we have covered a lot of topics and questions in this forum and there were a lot of creative solutions to many difficult problems devised.

240sx
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?22631-1989-nissan-240sx-4bt-diesel-racecar.....

69 Camaro
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/chevy/1102dp_1969_cummins_powered_chevy_camaro/

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
This was probably covered in those convos but I'll say it anyway. If you don't use a tranny from a diesel then you take a risk of the shifts not hitting in the right spot of the rpm. There is a few members on here having trouble with drive ability because of this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found the deal of a lifetime. Ol fedex truck with 4bt in it with title for 1k after I scrap the truck I'm only paying like 400$ for motor and trans. I'm going to hold off on the camaro swap for a little bit and throw it in my 56 chevy pickup. Then do the camaro swap after that is finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Good to hear you came to your senses. Yea a diesel camaro would be just ok but an oil burner belongs in a truck period. Hope you like noise..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still going to do the cameo swap just because that would be pretty cool to do and have.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Found the deal of a lifetime. Ol fedex truck with 4bt in it with title for 1k after I scrap the truck I'm only paying like 400$ for motor and trans. I'm going to hold off on the camaro swap for a little bit and throw it in my 56 chevy pickup. Then do the camaro swap after that is finished.
That's a sweet lookin' '56, a right proper home for the 4BT. Congrats on the deal with FedEx truck. Make sure you start a build thread for the '56, and keep us posted.

Good Luck, Mike

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I would not use a truck manual transmission in a car, the gearing is meant to get heavy loads moving not to get light loads moving quickly.
after all, the diff ratio plays an important role on that matter, so a truck transmission would not be a bad choice at all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts