Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

getting close to fininshing my wagon and Im trying to get the 4wd linkage and stuff figured out. The wagon has a 4wd light on the panel that I would like to integrate into my 241 transfer case. Is there a sensor i can install somewhere like my old 228 had?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hey guys,

getting close to fininshing my wagon and Im trying to get the 4wd linkage and stuff figured out. The wagon has a 4wd light on the panel that I would like to integrate into my 241 transfer case. Is there a sensor i can install somewhere like my old 228 had?

Thanks,

Andy
The 241 has a switch on it.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I'm keeping an eye on this too cuz I'll need to know later on...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody got pics yet? or some technical writing skills?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I need to clairfy the question....

I have a 4wd indicator light on my panel, it went to a switch on the np229. I now have a 241 without a switch. It had a VSS that I have swapped for a meachanical speedo. Can you install such a switch in a dodge 241? where?

My hopes are that a Jeep switch will thread right in, my second tier hope is that a 241 switch is avail and i can mod my harness to fit.

Discuss.....

Look at it, it either has a mechanical speedo drive or vss. The other plug is the indicator.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you converted ONE of the two plugs to mechanical. Then the OTHER should be the switch.
OK, you keep moving in the direction of "that guy is an idiot" if you could re-read my second post " I now have a 241 without a switch" refered to the fact that there isnt ANY place for a plug. Once again there is not TWO, or ONE but ZERO plugs.

MY question is where can I install a switch? I assume I can put one in on top of the select lever but I dont know if one from a jeep wrangler (np231) would work or not.

·
Registered
800 Posts
OK, you keep moving in the direction of "that guy is an idiot" if you could re-read my second post " I now have a 241 without a switch" refered to the fact that there isnt ANY place for a plug. Once again there is not TWO, or ONE but ZERO plugs.

MY question is where can I install a switch? I assume I can put one in on top of the select lever but I dont know if one from a jeep wrangler (np231) would work or not.
I don't know. Then, at this point, I assume not all 241's had a indicator switch..... Mine does

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
the 241 may have a place for the indicator up on top of the case,is the case out of the chassis,or did you look up top???It may be hard to find,or have a plug in the threaded part for a switch.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
indicator on a 241-dhd...dodge.

odd that you don't have a switch...what vehicle is it from?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
he's probably got a plug in then...every 241 iv'e seen has this indicator switch.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pictured is the vac switch on a dodge 241(im looking for an electric switch just to illuminate my light). I dont have one installed, at least to my knowledge, but thats unimportant. What IS important is that there isnt an electric switch. I know I have a port on top of the select lever (as previously mentioned,) If i were to use that port, which switch could i use? a Chevy 241 switch? A jeep 231? The one out of the original 229?

SO the question is (to reprase,) Which electric 4wd indicator switch can you use and is it correct to put it in that port or is there a better idea?

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Yes,use a 241 switch would work,and use one that will fit your wire connector.The switches are real simple things,they just use a ball to make contact,so use what feels best to you, and your application,and what you may have in the way of parts.

·
Registered
751 Posts
look at the case you have.

there are only 2 possible plugs, one is the vss, one is the 4wd switch, it should be on the front of the case.

just run a keyed hot to it, the returning wire to your light, the last wire from the light to ground.

or go the other way, hot to the light, light to the switch, switch to the ground.

edit/posted before i got to the bottom of the page.

the switch will take the place of the detent ball, spring, and hex plug directly above the shift rail.

it is #46 on your explode pic.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts