Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what is needed to swap a 7.3 from a 2000 f-250 to a 2002 f-250 with a 5.4. I would have the entire donor truck for swaping parts, (minus what was damaged in the fire.)

The reason i as is my brothers truck was lost to fire a couple of weeks ago, the cab interior and box was lost but the engine and drive train are fine. What else would i need to purchase besides a new pcm for the diesel to do the swap?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i am thinking about doing, but i was wondering what else is needed. Anything in the cab to make the diesel work properly was lost and needs replaced.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
are you concerned about a pedal position sensor? is so much hard to convert the engine to mechanically-injected with a standalone module for the gearbox?

i don't know so much about the 7.3 engine because in south america other diesel engines were used instead of it...

·
Registered
11 Posts
you could sell the 7.3 and use the cash to get a cummins lol if your gonna put the time in the swap mine as well go for the best.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
A lot needs to be replaced, most of which was probably gone in the fire.
ECM,GEM,engine harness, chassis harness, gauge cluster, transmission, radiator, IC, core support, fuel lines, fuel pump, maybe the tank, etc.

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts
Just wondering what is needed to swap a 7.3 from a 2000 f-250 to a 2002 f-250 with a 5.4. I would have the entire donor truck for swaping parts, (minus what was damaged in the fire.)

The reason i as is my brothers truck was lost to fire a couple of weeks ago, the cab interior and box was lost but the engine and drive train are fine. What else would i need to purchase besides a new pcm for the diesel to do the swap.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd
You need to get the detailed shop manuals for both vehicles and find out exactly what is different and what is the same. It could be the wiring harness for the 5.4 will work and all you have to do is change the ecu pinouts and add wiring and connectors which is not too hard. You can use what is not burned on the harness, piece by piece. This kind of job takes careful planning and can be a heck of a lot of mental fun. I'd like to do it myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts