Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lil-Red here with the other vehicle. Mini-Pete built up from a bare frame, Been driving
it 20 years, Perkins 6-354 diesel, 5 spd with DD-OD box,air seats, air horns, air bag front
axle, lift pony axle, 4K onan Genset, window AC under sleeper, electric tilt hood and 24 ft.
tandem axle trailer. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Lil Red,

Between this beautiful machine and your 4bt-powered Falcon, you likely have a bunch of friends who routinely come over and raid your beer refrigerator and talk vehicles until their wives threaten to deliver divorce papers. Are you by chance a farm kid who grew up tinkering with tractors and machinery?

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brian F
Farm kid yes, How did you guess? At age 10 i traded my hutch of rabbits for a1939 Moto-Scoot scooter which i
still have, at age 19 i bought a 37 Chev sedan, a wrecked 51 Chrysler with a hemi and an old stick welder and just
never quit. 100B1936.jpg 100B1936.jpg 100B1936.jpg
Having a little problem with the resize

·
Registered
309 Posts
Umm...Wow...Nice job.

Can you give us a quick description of what you did?

Swap in the motor and tranny.
Original frame, axles, steering, suspension?
Then, chop the cab?

Roy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
irhunter:

Well here goes, I started out with a 77 Dodge Motor home frame and front axle, after knocking the old
body off sold the 413 had it sandblasted & painted then installed the Perkins Diesel and gearboxes. Welded
a hitch on the back, locked the steering and towed it back-wards behind the Falcon to my home shop
where over a 5 year period I did the rest of the build. I had a fairly large truck salvage business at the time
so lots of parts to choose from. It has 5 spd NP.trans -d-od box made out of an IHC trans, 78 ford 1 ton R.E.
elec. lift on the pony axle,elec. tilt on the drome plate ,the front clip tilts with elec jacks. I have driven it over
21,000 miles and made it home every time,it has never seen the tow hook of an AAA wrecker. These 2 pic may
explain a lot. Thanks for your interest. Lil-red 100_1945.jpg 100_1945.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
irhunter;

Yes the OD box is mounted midway back. Google (IHC T-34 transmission) that is an OD trans. I took one
of those and took everything out but the 4th and over and hooked a rod out the front to shift it. It has the
speedo drive on the back so it is correct in either gear and has the emergency brake setup, it is synchronized
so it shifts easier than the old brownie boxes. I put a support bearing on the front shaft and found a pinion yoke
that fit the clutch splines, took my tape measure and went out to my stock at that time of about 300 driveshafts
and found shafts to hook up without being cut, it has worked out very well.
Lil-Red

·
Registered
309 Posts
irhunter;

Yes the OD box is mounted midway back. Google (IHC T-34 transmission) that is an OD trans. I took one
of those and took everything out but the 4th and over and hooked a rod out the front to shift it. It has the
speedo drive on the back so it is correct in either gear and has the emergency brake setup, it is synchronized
so it shifts easier than the old brownie boxes. I put a support bearing on the front shaft and found a pinion yoke
that fit the clutch splines, took my tape measure and went out to my stock at that time of about 300 driveshafts
and found shafts to hook up without being cut, it has worked out very well.
Lil-Red
This site is just full of innovative shade-tree engineering.

Roy

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hello Mr. Lil Red,

There's something about tinkerers like yourself which typically tips me off that a farm background existed somewhere in the past. Us farm kids always had to take chicken manure and turn it into chicken salad - that was always the name of the game. Cutting metal with a maxed-out stick welder was done on almost a daily basis and one was always keen to walk through someone's back-yard junk pile (generally with permission) to see if a little parts-based horse-trading could take place. The trick was to never let on how badly you wanted something from another's junk pile or else the price would likely increase exponentially. Living on a dairy farm, we might have had steak on nearly a daily basis, but that doesn't mean that it was ever tender.

Keep up the tinkering my friend.

Brian

P.S. I'm from Dunn County in Wisconsin. May I ask what part of this third rock you're from?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brian F;
That life story sounds mighty familiar, down on the farm. That homemade tractor in the pic was built by my Dad with
some help from me when I was about 10 years old. It had a 5 hp. clinton motor and 2 transmissions was quite useful. Speaking
of down on the farm we didn't get electricity until i was about 8 years old, talk about the not so good old days. I have always lived
in S.W. Missouri around Springfield for last several years. If you have more thoughts we could go P.M. ?
Lil-red

1 - 15 of 15 Posts