Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just kind of thinking out loud here, but I'm looking at a '90 Bronco currently powered by a 351W (5.8L) backed by a recently rebuild E4OD. I'm considering buying and repowering the truck, but the cost of an OD manual transmission is a bit high. My thinking is that the SBF pattern 4BT, with a flexplate, will bolt to the E4OD. I could then use the controller and harness from a 7.3L/E4OD F-250 of F-350 along with the Diesel torque converter and have a working and properly functional 4BT/E4OD combination. Does this seem fairly easy or am I crazy? Anybody know much about the E4OD controllers from the 7.3L trucks? Or the 7.3's power band?

Thanks,
CD

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just kind of thinking out loud here, but I'm looking at a '90 Bronco currently powered by a 351W (5.8L) backed by a recently rebuild E4OD. I'm considering buying and repowering the truck, but the cost of an OD manual transmission is a bit high. My thinking is that the SBF pattern 4BT, with a flexplate, will bolt to the E4OD. I could then use the controller and harness from a 7.3L/E4OD F-250 of F-350 along with the Diesel torque converter and have a working and properly functional 4BT/E4OD combination. Does this seem fairly easy or am I crazy? Anybody know much about the E4OD controllers from the 7.3L trucks? Or the 7.3's power band?

Thanks,
CD
Check with these people for the adapter for the cummins to the Ford E4OD.
http://www.transmissioncenter.org/cummins_4bt_and_6bt_adapter.htm

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
http://www.becontrols.com/products/e4odcat.htm

check out them for a controller. Using stock stuff seemed like a good idea to me at first, but aftermarket allows more control and customization. This allows shift point changes which is very valuable especially when the rpm range of the 4bt is that much lower than the 7.3.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think if you used the 4bt auto flexplate and adapted the spacer ring between the TC and FP, you could mate to the e4OD with the Ford bell adapter. I saw someone do that with an AOD so I assume it's almost the same for the E4OD. I may be trying it on my next project.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do some research as I'm pretty sure C6 and E4OD (4 bolt torque converters) use the same flexplate.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Give Brian a call at BTS, there is nobody who knows that trans better than he does. I have a hunch because it is a gas version e4od there will be at least some valve body issues.
http://www.brianstruckshop.com/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't mean to revive a dead post here, but if the 4bt has a SBF bolt pattern, why do I need an adaptor for the AOD or the E4OD? Is there an issue with the starter or something?

·
Registered
1 Posts
wounderin the same thing...got a built e40d to hold up to my non stock 351w. been wanting to put the 4bt in there for a while, gonna need a adapter plate, new flexplate, and the trans controller with the valve body. will i need a different torque converter??? i know the hp on a stock 351 is like 210 torque shouldnt be far from it...how much more can it hold past that?

·
Registered
37 Posts
A healthy E4OD will hold 500ft/lbs, a mildly built one will hold a 1,000 or better.
The Torque convertor will only hold about 500, then they make all grades above that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts